Core Image is a powerful framework offering image processing and analysis for both iOS and OS X. It offers Swift developers a simple API to a wide range of image based effects.
Core Image for Swift is a comprehensive guide to Core Image for iOS Swift developers. It covers all areas of working with Core Image for processing still images
The chapters are:
- Introducing Core Image
- Core Image Filters in Detail A detailed look at Core Image filters with descriptions of their categories and examples of filter use.
- Displaying Filtered Images looks at different approaches for displaying Core Image output and covers UIImageView, using OpenGL with GLKView and using Metal with MTKView.
- Convolution Filters Looks in detail at convolution filters and their effects.
- Custom Composite Filters looks at creating new filters with composites of existing built-in filters
- Custom Filters with Core Image Kernel looks at writing filters from scratch with GLSL
- Color Kernels A detailed look at CIColorKernel
- Warp Kernels A detailed look at CIWarpKernel
- General Kernels A detailed look at CIKernel
- Advanced Kernels Discusses advanced kernels for creating fluid dynamic and reaction diffusion systems
- Custom Filters with Metal Discusses wrapping Metal compute shaders in a Core Image filter to create effects impossible with CIKernels
- ModelIO Based Generators Discusses using ModelIO’s texture generation tools to create unique imagery such as procedural skies and smooth, color noise for use with Core Image
- Working with vImage Discusses using Accelerate / vImage in conjunction with Core Image to implement histogram and morphology operations which aren't included as part of Core Image
All chapters are accompanied by fully documented open source Swift projects.