IMPORTANT: Please check the License Agreement before purchasing. Owners of both the Body Rig and the Face Rig will qualify for a free upgrade to the ready assembled Body & Face Rig (see details* below). Gender switching functionality is available separately; only the male OR the female base mesh is required for this, there is no need to purchase both. Face rig is not included in this version - see the Body & Face Rig for a complete rig. Competence using Blender is recommended to fully benefit from this product.
This rigged human base mesh is the framework upon which my formerly entitled "Perpetual Multipurpose Personal Person Project" is based. The P.M.P.P.P. was made to alleviate the burden of rigging, weight painting, retopologising, UV unwrapping and generally having to reinvent the wheel for every new humanoid character. By distilling the shared features of the human race into a single form, it provides a neutral, reusable human-shaped canvas for sculpting, texturing, posing and animating.
Due to popular demand, I've decided to make the base mesh and rig available for general consumption, and have thereby redubbed it the more easily pronounceable "Universal Human" project. So now you can have your very own personal person too! Use it to mind the kids, ward off ghosts, or even to taste-test your auntie Ethel's scone mix! Also works as a handy insect repellent or inflatable life preserver.*
Other useful uses include:
- A basis for sculpting and texturing new characters
- Posing for art reference and paint-overs
- Instructional presentations
- Pulling it apart to see what makes it tick
Here is a work in progress demonstration of the rig from April 2019. Improvements have been made in the interim (including disabling Bendy Bones to improve torso deformation), so the final product differs slightly in appearance.
Two demos of the proportions being edited:
*Owners of both the Body Rig and the Face Rig will receive a 100% off discount code which can be applied to the Body & Face Rig. The codes have to be generated and sent out manually, so there may be a delay of up to half a day or so (if it doesn't arrive, check your spam). If you purchased both using different email addresses, please let me know so I can verify. Those game enough to attempt a D.I.Y assembly while waiting can find the instructions here.
- Designed to accommodate realistic character creation and animation
- Neutral base mesh averaged from male, female and 3 races. Both genders can be enabled by applying one of the Male or Female base meshes that are sold separately. Note: only the male OR the female is required - there is no need to purchase both.
- Full IK body rig, including fingers (ideal for pressing against surfaces). Note that the feet are rigged to accommodate shoes, so while toes are present, they are not individually rigged. Facial rig is not included, but is planned for a separately sold future upgrade
- On-the-fly customisable skeletal proportions; easily and non-destructively edit the rig for innumerous human body types, humanoid creatures and stylised characters (see video demos above).
- 2 UV map variants: full body, and face-focused
- Lightweight mesh for responsive performance. Poly count (before subdivision): body: 5,454 faces (quads); eyeballs: 692 faces (quads) each
- Topology optimised for animation and posing; edge loops follow wrinkles and muscular direction where possible, without compromising deformation quality. Modelled with separate clothing in mind (i.e. geometry is less dense in typically covered areas)
- Corrective shape keys to preserve volume in most joints
- IK/FK switching
- Soft IK to dampen "popping" when IK chains are near full extension
- Finger curling controls for quick hand posing. See demo.
- All quads
- Compatible with Blender 2.79, 2.8x and 2.9x
- No complicated script installations or add-ons necessary; just load and go!
See the Reference Chart for rig operational instructions.
- IK/FK switching latency in Blender 2.79 (no latency apparent in 2.8x)
- No IK/FK snapping is implemented, so IK controls will need to be manually realigned when switching from one to the other
- A side effect of one of the posing features is that the Torso and Thorax controls drift from the spine if the pelvis is moved in X or Y. A workaround is to select both pelvis and torso and move them in unison.
- While the body will deform well in most situations, this may not always be the case for more unusual or extreme poses. Manual re-shaping is recommended in those instances.
*not suitable for use as a flotation device.
By purchasing or using this product, you agree to be bound by the conditions in the License Agreement.
You've purchased this product
See it in your libraryView in Library
We charged your card and sent you a receipt
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Thanks a lot for your support!
In case you missed it, please be sure to check the License Agreement at https://sites.google.com/view/universalhuman/license-agreement
You can find a chart containing operational instructions at https://sites.google.com/view/universalhuman/instructions
To follow the ongoing progress of this project, visit the discussion at: https://blenderartists.org/t/human-progress
If you also purchased the Face Rig you will receive a 100% off discount code which can be applied to the Body & Face Rig. The codes have to be generated and sent out manually, so there may be a delay of up to half a day or so. If you purchased both using different email addresses, please let me know so I can verify. In the mean time, you can find D.I.Y assembly instructions here: https://sites.google.com/view/universalhuman/instructions#h.fswt4frg2czq
If you have any questions or issues, feel free to contact me at the address on this page: https://www.chrisj.com.au/p/about.html
Good news! Since you already have a Gumroad account, it's also been added to your library.