It’s a writer’s job to create compelling characters who can withstand life’s fallout without giving up. But building authentic, memorable heroes is no easy task. To forge realistic characters, we must hobble them with flaws that set them back while giving them positive attributes to help them achieve their goals. So how do writers choose the right blend of strengths for their characters—attributes that will render them admirable and worth rooting for—without making it too easy for them to succeed?
UNEARTH YOUR CHARACTER’S UNIQUE PERSONALITY
Character creation can be hard, but it’s about to get a lot easier. Inside The Positive Trait Thesaurus, you’ll find:
- * A large selection of attributes to choose from when building a personality profile. Each entry lists possible causes for why a trait might emerge, along with associated attitudes, behaviors, thoughts, and emotions
- * Real character examples from literature, film, or television to show how an attribute drives actions and decisions, influences goals, and steers relationships
- * Advice on using positive traits to immediately hook readers while avoiding common personality pitfalls
- * Insight on human needs and morality, and how each determines the strengths that emerge in heroes and villains alike
- * Information on the key role positive attributes play within the character arc, and how they’re vital to overcoming fatal flaws and achieving success
- * Downloadable tools for organizing a character’s attributes and providing a deeper understanding of his past, his needs, and the emotional wounds he must overcome
If you find character creation difficult or worry that your cast members all seem the same, The Positive Trait Thesaurus is brimming with ideas to help you develop one-of-a-kind, dynamic characters that readers will love. Extensively indexed, with entries written in a user-friendly list format, this brainstorming resource is perfect for any character creation project.
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Thank you for your purchase. If you're working on a Mac, we recommend using Adobe Acrobat Reader for optimal viewing results.
If you find this resource useful, please check out its companion: The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws. We also have four additional books in our series that have proven helpful with various parts of the writing process: The Urban and Rural Setting Thesauruses, The Emotional Wound Thesaurus, and a second edition of The Emotion Thesaurus. This expanded volume contains 55 additional entries and expanded front matter.
The entries from our entire 14-thesaurus collection can also be found at One Stop For Writers (www.onestopforwriters.com), our unique online library meant to help writers elevate their storytelling.
We appreciate your support. For more information about our books and to access downloadable tools and free resources for authors, please visit our website at www.writershelpingwriters.net.