Learn how to build Node.js and MongoDB REST APIs and web apps with Express.js 4 (the most popular Node.js framework) in a video course format.
The Introduction to Express.js 4 course will teach you how to get started in building representational state transfer application programming interface (REST API) servers and web apps from scratch using Node.js, Express.js 4, MongoDB, Jade and Stylus.
This is a hands-on project-based course which has two main projects:
- REST API: a server that accepts HTTP requests and creates, reads, updates and deletes (CRUD) data in MongoDB
- Web app: a website with HTML rendered by Jade and styled by Stylus that interacts with the REST API
The Course Content
- About 20 lectures in the form of presentation with slides and screencasts
- Two projects with source code
- Udemy platform access
The Express.js 4 course is mainly focused on basics of Express.js, but we'll use and cover to some extent as needed topics and libraries such as:
- NPM: Node.js' packaging system
- Jade: template engine (better than regular HTML)
- Stylus: cascading stylesheet (CSS) framework (better than regular CSS)
- Superagent: library for making HTTP requests (better than core Node.js http module)
- MongoDB: NoSQL database
- MongoDB native driver: the most basic module for MongoDB
- Token-based authentication (e.g., REST API <-> Web app)
This Express.js 4 course is an intermediate level course, so there won't be any beginner or advanced topics, e.g., oAuth, deployment to AWS/Heroku, getting production-ready.
Please be familiar with these topics before taking Introduction to Express.js 4:
- Basics of Node.js such as installation, NPM
- Basics of web development such as HTTP, plain CSS, HTML and server-client
This is a pre-order, the real course will be published around June 5, 2014 on Udemy. The actual charge will happen only when the course is available.
If you need/wish get answers to specific questions, send me you feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.