Music has the power to bring people together. It helps us have a better understanding of the world in which we live, in all its wonderful diversity. The songs and rhymes of children most of all.
In Kid Songs Around The World we've gathered 100 of our favorites from all the continents of the globe.
We start in Africa, with welcome songs, circle dances and call-and-response tunes. Then, we move on to Asia, with songs of friendship, love and play. Then Australia and the islands of Oceania, where you can learn songs about the sea. The songs from Europe include well-known characters like the Sandman and Little Red Ridinghood. From North America you can find an Iroquois lullaby and both English and French Canadian songs. We end with South America where the music is tinged with African and Spanish influences.
Each song includes the full text in the original language, with an English translation, and most include sheet music. All include links to web pages where you can listen to recordings, hear the tune or watch a YouTube performance. Each includes a beautiful illustration. Many have commentary sent to us by our correspondents who write about the history of the songs and what they meant in their lives.
Kid Songs Around The World is produced by Mama Lisa's World, where we believe sharing our cultures will help bring the world closer together. At Mama Lisa's World we work with ordinary people around the globe to build a platform to preserve and exchange traditional culture.
We hope this book will help foster a love of international children's songs!
* 100 Children's songs and rhymes from around the world
* Full text of each in the original language
* English translations
* Most with sheet music
* Links to web pages with recordings, many by ordinary people who have contributed them
* Commentary from our correspondents about what the songs and rhymes have meant to their lives
You'll find 100 Kid Songs and Rhymes from around the world, including:
* Do do ki do (Fried Ripe Plantains), from Cameroon
* Anile Anile Vaa Vaa Vaa(Chipmunk Chipmunk, Come Come Come), from India
* Te aroha (Love), from New Zealand
* Au clair de la lune (Under the Moonlight), from France
* La Cucaracha (The Cockroach), from Mexico
* Ciranda, Cirandinha (Circle, Little Circle), from Brazil
* Fanga Alafia (Hello, Welcome), from Nigeria
* Bangau Oh Bangau (Stork, Oh Stork), from Malaysia
And many more!