Arm yourself with the knowledge that you need to bring your ideas to life in 3D.
NOTE: This Course is in Early Access
The Houdini Armoury is in an Early Access state, meaning that it is very early in its development. Get involved with the course as it develops. This Armoury series will be cheaper during early access (see the 'Pricing' section for more details). The course will be in early access until the development of module 1 is complete - but early access could be extended beyond module 1 depending on several factors (see the 'Future Goals' section).
Course Introduction & Why it was Created.
What is Houdini?
Houdini is an industry leading Digital Content Creation (DCC) tool-set, with application in film, architectural visualisation, design, and games.
The reason behind the development of this course.
There is a lack of Houdini courses for complete beginners. I remember when I picked it up the first time, it was hard to find a single course that did not assume that I already knew Max or Maya, or the basics of the topic that the course covers. If anything, I felt discouraged to keep learning the software - tools like Modo felt way easier to work with.
Houdini can be intimidating to beginners since tutorials often include programming or some weird manipulation of geometry that you may not be used to in other tools like Maya or Modo. Essentially, while many Houdini courses are really cool, they typically start with some complex topic that would sell well, such as explosions, ocean effects, and so forth. For the most part, these courses would not cover the foundations that I needed to feel comfortable when working with the software. Even those that did include beginner sections, would attempt to explain things in 2 minutes, and would, therefore, skip vitally important information.
See, these foundational topics can be a bit boring (if you are not really interested in the software or you want to learn it in 5 minutes), time consuming to create lessons for, and people really want to do the cool stuff - but I realised that I had to take the more traditional approach in learning the software - interface first, then the basic modeling tools and then the more complex topics. With time I went over many courses and tutorials. Once I had a better understanding of how things fit together in Houdini, Houdini no longer felt 'clunky' to work with.
I realised the tool-set only felt 'clunky' to begin with because the basics were never explained properly - even though I watched countless hours of tutorials, I only really figured out how these fundamentals work myself over time by messing around, reading the documentation, or finding a solution in some random video.
So that is why I created this course - because it is needed. People love Houdini, and they want to study it, but without a properly structured curriculum, most will get discouraged and could stop using the software even before they finished watching the first Houdini course that they pick up.
How the Armoury is structured:
This curriculum was build from the ground up with the complete beginner in mind - I don't even assume that you know what 'rendering', 'UV Mapping', or 'texturing' means, for example. We take a more traditional approach - interface & navigation first and then modeling fundamentals. These topics are all covered in Module 1 and they form the foundation on which all other modules will be built. This means we start with the basics, build a solid foundation, and then move on to the more complex topics, such as procedural modeling.
What is an 'Armoury' Series?
I think the idea for the 'Armoury' came about from playing way too many video games - or maybe I have a vivid imagination. The idea is that you 'arm' yourself to take on a particular challenge (some nasty, beastly, stinky creature maybe). Armed with the right tools (and a solid understanding of how to use them), you'll overcome any challenge that comes your way. You'll often find that the beast's shadow is huge and looks very scary, but in reality, it's just a scared donkey that makes funny noises and that you can tame to work for you - you can make it your friend.
Houdini, for example, seems really complex, and many get discouraged by this, but if you break it down and learn it one step at a time, you'll see it's really not that scary at all.
- An Armoury is a membership and not your typical subscription service. With a more typical subscription site, you'll only have access to their content whilst you have an active subscription. Essentially you keep what you've paid for with our membership - those lessons that were added whilst your membership was active (videos can be downloaded). You just won't get new additions or updates to existing content after your membership period expires, that is, should you decide to cancel your membership.
- The idea with an Armoury series is that members can choose the Armoury that focuses on the specific topic that they are interested in, and enrol in that specific Armoury series - instead of paying for a large library containing things that they may not be interested in. The goal is to be sustainable (hence the yearly membership), but also affordable.
- Armoury series are collections of slow-paced modules which aim to explain concepts in detail - instead of being just a quick overview. They are also designed to be used as a reference. It is a growing collection of structured modules that focus on specific topics. From the most basic concepts, for people who have never touched 3D applications before, to the most advanced and rarely discussed topics which will be developed and included in a structured and progressive manner.
- We include project-based tutorials as exercises at the end of certain sections, and only after relevant topics have been explained in detail - the curriculum is about much more than any specific project, and these projects are simply used as exercises to solidify learned concepts.
Who is this course/series intended for?
This course is for you if...
- You have never touched 3D applications before - we start from the very basics (You do not need any experience in Max, Maya or Blender prior to enrolling in this course - unlike most other Houdini courses).
- You want detailed and slow-paced instruction instead of just a quick overview.
This course is not for you if...
- You want to learn Houdini in 5 minutes.
- You want a quick-start guide to Houdini (it takes time to explain the intricacies of the software)
What are the Requirements?
- PC capable of running Houdini (course recorded on a windows machine).
- Internet connection capable of streaming 720p video. You can test this by watching some of our free content on YouTube. You will get free lectures in our 'starter package' when you follow us on our website.
- Students need to be competent and confident in the use of computers/software.
The price of the course will increase as follows, so get it while it's in Early Access if you can (the Armoury will not constantly be on 'sale').
- Early Access - $15 p/y
- Release price - $25 p/y
- Gold Version - $47 p/y (The Gold version will release on a separate platform in the future. This new platform will include forums, a help desk, gamification, course completion certificates, and much more. Whether or not we release this version depends solely on the support that we get since the new platform that we'll use is very expensive - see the 'Future Goals' section).
Follow us at https://gumroad.com/adamsdigitalacademy to get free lessons and a hotkey list.
Watch some of our free lessons on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Adamsvfxacademy
For other news and updates, follow us on twitter:
20+ members (at the time of writing this update)
We are well on our way to reaching the first milestone. We reached this member count early and despite having a very small email list/following.
Outlined here are some of our goals for the Houdini Armoury.
Goals for the first year of the Armoury:
- 50 Members - Minimum goal for the first year.
- 50-150 Members - Lots of work will go into building a studio (I'll be transforming the garage). This means that I can get more work done, faster. I'll be less distracted and rushed (to try and record something before someone interrupts me) which will contribute to the overall quality of the content. BONUS: When we reach 150+ members, I'll extend the Early Access of the Armoury until the completion of Module 2. This means that, by supporting us early, you can save potential students money.
- 200-250 Members - Work begins on the Houdini Armoury Gold version, which will release on a separate platform. At this point, I'll also have a better monitor setup which will allow for higher resolution videos.
- Unlock the next major stretch goal at 500 Members.
There are 3 important things that you should note from our goals.
Firstly, most of the money we make will go into building even more, and even higher quality content.
Secondly, you'll notice that we have many long-term plans for the Armoury. There are many goals that are not even listed here since they are very long-term at the moment.
Lastly, you can see that we don't need thousands of students to be successful - the minimum target for the first year is only 50 students. This means that every new member makes a big difference. I think if you compare prices, we also have a very competitive pricing model.
From all this, I hope you are excited about learning Houdini, and that you'll become a member of our Armoury. I believe learning Houdini is an excellent investment.
Thanks for your support!
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Thanks for becoming a member of the Houdini Armoury.