This series of rowing videos contains some of the best rowing knowledge that we have caught on tape. Each video is presented by a different rowing expert, each bringing their own knowledge, tips and tricks to the table. With over 3 hours of the best rowing knowledge in the world this collection is well worth a look.
The Videos are:
1 - Rowing clinic on technique and injury prevention by Ken Davey - 51:48
2 - Rowing clinic on the catch by Olympic rower Anthony Edwards and Olympic rowing coach Brett Crow - 53:11
3 - Interview with 2016 Olympic gold medal winning coach Lyall McCarthy on how to coach Beginners Through to Olympic Level - 38:44
4 - Back pain in rowing seminar by Australian rowing team head physiotherapist Kellie Wilkie - 53:54
1. Rowing clinic on technique and injury prevention by Ken Davey - 51:48
This rowing clinic by Ken Davey is on technique and injury prevention. It covers the basics of technique, warm up, stretching and injury prevention.
This clinic is a great teaching tool for those new to the sport or those looking to sharpen their technical eye and injury prevention/management.
We cover the fundamentals of the rowing stroke and include our best ways of preventing injury through good technique and athlete management.
2. Rowing Clinic on the Catch by Olympic Rower Anthony Edwards and Olympic Rowing Coach Brett Crow - 53:11
This clinic is goes into great depth on the catch of the rowing stroke. The presenters are 5 time Olympian Anthony Edwards and Olympic Rowing Coach Brett Crow. The catch is one of the most crucial parts of the rowing stroke to master. In this 53:11 long clinic we have:
- Stroke analysis
- Demonstration of good and poor technique
- Exercises for improving the catch and connection
- Video analysis of the 2012 Australian Men's Lightweight Olympic
3. Interview with 2016 Olympic gold medal winning coach Lyall McCarthy on how to coach Beginners Through to Olympic Level - 38:44
In this video Lyall covers the following topics
- Most important items to coach
- Is rhythm lost when looking at the numbers?
-Beware the big puddle - how deep the blade to move the boat well
-Extracting the blade the easy way
-Move with the speed of the boat - Very Important
- Fast Legs What does it mean?
- Fast Legs of Fast Drive - Important Distinction
- Should you use your Arms and Shoulders at the Catch
- How far should you Reach out from the Back Turn
- Importance of Sequence on the Recovery and Stretch to Place
- Should we pause at the finish
- How to treat the foot plate on the recovery
- Use your feet for balance on the recovery
- Should you have your heels down during the drive
- You should always have contact with the foot stretcher
- Use contact with the Foot Stretcher to feel crew Rhythm
- The importance of teaching sequence and rhythm early
- Rock n Row - a good exercise for beginners
- How should we warmup - Not the way you think
- Rotation - its role in Power? Technique and Injury
- When to use your shoulders in sculling
- When to Apply power in a single vs a quad
- When to engage the Shoulders and the Core
- Don't tear the puddle with incorrect overlap of power application
- When to use the arms in the drive phase
- Basic rigging rules without a tape measure
4. Back pain in rowing seminar by Australian rowing team head physiotherapist Kellie Wilkie - 53:54
Back Pain in rowing should not be tolerated.
In this video Kellie Wilkie, Australian Rowing's lead Physiotherapist explains the whole story of back injury in rowing. Its not all bad!
- What causes it?
- What to do to prevent it?
- When it is not an issue?
- How do you fix it?
- Every Coach and Athlete should watch this and understand fully.
(Be warned it goes for 53 info packed minutes - but worth it )