Keeping a few chickens in your backyard is hot stuff!
And for scads of good reasons, too: a handy supply of the most delicious eggs there are, more control over your food supply, manure for your garden--heck, it's just a fun thing to do!
QUESTION--yikes!!--where do you turn when you have questions about raising these birds? Especially when problems turn up--say, when your favorite hen gets sick, or when she doesn't lay as many eggs as you were hoping, or even when you realize how much feed is costing (hint: commercial chicken feed is not cheap) and you'd like to do a better job of feeding your flock, without having to dip into the family grocery budget.
Answer--hold on!--I've got your back! I wrote this information-packed ebook with the newbie chicken keeper in mind. I took note of every niggling little problem I've had in the fifteen+ years of successfully raising and keeping a happy, healthy homestead flock (in numbers, anywhere from a couple dozen to nearly a hundred birds at one time!), with you, my gentle chicken-loving reader in mind.
Just a few things I cover:
1. How do I cut my feed costs and actually improve the nutrition of my flock at the same time?
2. What on earth do I do if my lovely hen gets an egg stuck in her . . . well . . you know . . . ??? (Heeelp!!)
3. Yikes!! Neighbor dogs! Opossums. Feral cats. Hawks!? What the heck--every vile critter in the neighborhood wants to munch on my chickens! Time-tested (I've been through them all!!) strategies for keeping your chickens safe from a steadily-rotating variety of predators.
4. VERY SIMPLE THINGS you can do that will double your hens' egg laying success during the dark cold winter months! How to avoid the molt (which will result in months of no eggs for you) without hurting your hens a bit!
6. HOW occasional coop scoop-outs can tremendously increase the fertility of your garden soil! Strategies for maximizing the black gold that your chickens produce for you, day in and day out! :)
7. Deep litter and why it's key to healthier flocks and a more productive garden! AND avoiding the mistakes newbies often make about coop and yard management!
I wrote "Secret Chicken Knowledge: I'm Full of It!" to address these (and approximately one-hundred more!) questions. This ebook is the next-best thing to the chicken-raising grandma across the picket fence.
Besides keeping an enthusiastically large number of chickens, raising pigs, children, and other critters, I write a blog, Vomitingchicken.com, in which I share the successes and trials of my life as a market gardener, chicken keeper, homeschool mom, and (*sigh*) more.
Though I write about nearly everything that goes on in my life--gardening, favorite recipes, books I'm reading, my winsome grandies, homeschooling, and family adventures--I always, always come back to the chickens. They are the first thing we installed into our place, the summer that we moved to our little country place, sixteen years ago.
If you are raising chickens now, or if you are mustering up the courage to buy some chicks and start with a flock soon, buy my ebook.
Conversely, if you've been keeping chickens for awhile and yet feel like you still have plenty to learn (and who doesn't?) buy my ebook. You'll easily make back the price of the book, from the feeding and coop bedding tips, alone.
Listen now to Bossy Me! I am the grandma, after all, who has been learning about chickens ever since I was a little girl.
And--wait--if you have a minute after you purchase this book, share it with your chicken-loving friends, won't you? 'Cause we're all in this together, aren't we?
:) And thank you. I'd give you a hug of thanks if I could, but if you don't live in my neighborhood, you'll have to settle for my undying gratitude, from the bottom of my chicken-loving heart. :)