Readers connect to characters with depth, ones who have experienced life’s ups and downs. To deliver key players that are both realistic and compelling, writers must know them intimately—not only who they are in the present story, but also what made them that way. Of all the formative experiences in a character’s past, none are more destructive than emotional wounds. The aftershocks of trauma can change who they are, alter what they believe, and sabotage their ability to achieve meaningful goals, all of which will affect the trajectory of your story.
Identifying the backstory wound is crucial to understanding how it will shape your character’s behavior, and The Emotional Wound Thesaurus can help. Inside, you’ll find:
• A database of traumatic situations common to the human experience
• An in-depth study on a wound’s impact, including the fears, lies, personality shifts, and dysfunctional behaviors that can arise from different painful events
• An extensive analysis of character arc and how the wound and any resulting unmet needs fit into it
• Techniques on how to show the past experience to readers in a way that is both engaging and revelatory while avoiding the pitfalls of info dumps and telling
• A showcase of popular characters and how their traumatic experiences reshaped them, leading to very specific story goals
• A Backstory Wound Profile tool that will enable you to document your characters’ negative past experiences and the aftereffects
Root your characters in reality by giving them an authentic wound that causes difficulties and prompts them to strive for inner growth to overcome it. With its easy-to-read format and over 100 entries packed with information, The Emotional Wound Thesaurus is a crash course in psychology for creating characters that feel incredibly real to readers.
You've purchased this product
See it in your libraryView in Library
We charged your card and sent you a receipt
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Thank you for your purchase. If you're working on a Mac, we recommend using Adobe Acrobat Reader for optimal viewing results.
If you find this resource useful, you might be interested in the other books in our series that can help with various parts of the writing process: The 2nd Edition of The Emotion Thesaurus, The Negative and Positive Trait Thesauruses, The Urban and Rural Setting Thesauruses, and The Occupation Thesaurus.
In addition, the entries from our entire 13-thesaurus collection can be found at One Stop For Writers (www.onestopforwriters.com), our unique online library meant to help writers elevate their storytelling.
We appreciate your support. For more information about our books and to access downloadable tools and free resources for authors, please visit our website at www.writershelpingwriters.net.
Good news! Since you already have a Gumroad account, it's also been added to your library.