This mechanism converts two way rotation to only one direction! It's an easy 3D Print however due to the multiple moving parts a certain degree of accuracy is required. Full assembly instructions below.
YOU WILL NEED:
- A 3D Printer
- M6 tap and M6 screw, two very small screws (these are optional)
- Small amount of sandpaper
0.15mm layer heights in PLA recommended for most parts, however 0.2mm may work OK on high accuracy machines.
All parts are orientated for 3D Printing without supports except the axle which requires support material.
Print according to the multiple, eg 2X = print two.
Clean up any rough edges with sandpaper so the mechanism can work correctly.
1. Fit the ratchet wheels to the axle ensuring they face the correct directions. Check the photos to ensure they're facing the correct way or the mechanism won't work.
2. Next, fit the bevel gears and ensure they can spin freely on the axle.
3. Fit at least one pawl per side into the bevel gear. This is delicate and they must be fully flush with the surface. Ensure the ratcheting mechanism operates correctly before moving on.
4. Fit the output gear to the base, ensuring it can spin freely and easily (use sandpaper to smooth the hole if it jams). For a more durable mechanism it is recommended to tap the output gear with an M6 tap. Alternatively you can print and use the press fit output gear pin. Ensure you fit the washer over the M6 screw or pin and secure in place. The output gear should be able to spin freely!
5. Place the axle supports on both sides onto the axle (take note of the correct orientation) and press carefully down onto the base. Depending on your 3D Printer this may be a press fit or loose. If too loose you can further secure the parts with two small screws from the underside of the base.
6. Press fit the crank and carefully test the mechanism. The pawls are delicate and can easily break if forced.
7. You're done! If everything is working correctly the crank should work in both directions with audible ratcheting sound and the output gear should only ever turn clockwise. Enjoy and thanks for supporting Maker's Muse!
We charged your card and sent you a receipt
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Good news! Since you already have a Gumroad account, it's also been added to your library.