Grid Modeler is a convenient tool to create 3D model easily.
Grid Modeler let you Boolean Cut by drawn shape or Create mesh on top of each other. It is a new modeling workflow in blender. It is proven and very efficient.
- Boolean Cut
- Create new faces
- Boolean Slicing
- Powerful Shape functions
- Advanced Grid System
- Construction Lines
- Create Pipes
Grids are very precise and easy to use. You can orient your grid plane by any directions. It is designed to be an very advanced grid system.
Table of content
- About Grid Modeler
- Known Issues and Limitation
- Usage guide
- Useful Tips
- Hardware support
- Contacts and Support
About Grid Modeler
Grid Modeler is designed for speed modeling.
If you want to create :
- Quick static objects for game, background things, buildings
- Sword, shield, armor, when consistent scales and angles are needed
- Sci-fi, spaceship, robots, weapons, hard surface solid things
Then, Grid Modeler will become your helpful tool in blender.
Also, if you used Google Sketchup, Fusion360 or other CAD software before, you may feel that Grid Modeler is familiar. They have some similar concept and advantages.
For background story and design concept of Grid Modeler,
please visit my website : https://www.kushirocg.com
- Enhanced the mechanism of enlarging grid plane in "Relative Size mode". Now the plane size is relative too. (easier enlarge for large mesh)
- Updated "Add Text" tool with few options:
- Now you can change font !
- Merge text into current mesh !
- Boolean Cut by the text !
This is a major update !
- Now you can add Text Object directly in Grid Modeler !!
Adding Text object and aligning is not easy in blender. Now you can add text object to any orientation, any angle and alignment !!
1. Draw a line
2. Press Spacebar key to stop
3. Press 6 key.
You can change text content, font size, offset in menu!
- Bug fix update : fixed small bug of create new face (flip normal option)
This is a major update :
- Improved Circle tool. Now the circle is aligned to grid axis. It is easier to stack circles or adding new shapes
- Now you can mirror everything with Alt N / Alt M (selection mode)
- Now you can center the grid plane to the face's center ( G key )
- Now you can create new face as separated object (property menu)
This is a small update :
- Fixed text color bug for blender 2.93 alpha version
- Added on screen hint-text for new shape edit functions
This is a major update !
More functions for shape editing.
- Now you can select vertices by drag and select !
- F key can fill or remove edge between two vertices !
- A key can add new vertex between two vertices or add to the end !
- Bug fix and improved stability of Inset function
- Now W key switch between Selection mode and Normal mode. If you press W key in Selection mode, it switch back to Normal mode.
- Bug fix for last update (Inset shape of high vertices density)
This is a Major Update !!
- Now you can press I key to inset/outset the shape !
Just select the shapes and press I key. It works on both closed shape and open shape!
- Now you can Press W key to quick-switch to selection mode and select the last added shape !
- Experimental function arrived ! Now you can press F1 key to save the current status! Including grid plane and shapes. (save in memory only)
- When you run the addon again, you can press F2 key to load the saved grid and shapes !
This is a bug fix update
- Fixed a bug caused by new data structure (Ctrl + Click alignment error)
This is a Major Update :
- Code rewrite (over 30%), using new data structure
- Now you can delete vertex of shape! (select a vertex in Edit Shape mode, press Del key)
- Now you can create symmetric shape easily !
Just create a open line segment (spacebar key during draw), then select the shape, and press Ctrl + M key
This is a Major Update !
- Now you can do simple edit of the selected shape!
1. Select Shapes
2. Press E key to enter edit mode
3. Select vertices
4. G key to move
5. B key to bevel (mouse scroll to increase bevel cut)
- Now you can smooth the pipes !
Just create your pipes as usual, then you can change the smoothing right in the properties menu on Left Bottom.
- Added an option for Boolean Solver (blender's two solvers)
- Fixed bug for blender older than 2.91
- Minor update, further improve the speed
This is a Major Update.
- Since blender changed the default boolean solver to a new (very buggy) boolean solver "Exact Solver", the code has to be change in order to enforce it to use the old and stable boolean solver (Fast Solver).
- Improved boolean performance and stability
- Affected Boolean Cut and Boolean Slice.
Edge Pipe tool workflow is enhanced !!
- Now you can bevel the edges directly at the commit property !!
When you create pipes, you don't need to select and bevel it beforehand. (too troublesome)
Now you can just draw the lines, press spacebar to stop, then press 9 Key to finish.
Then, you can set the edges bevel in the property screen ("Edges Bevel" and "Edges Bevel Width"). It is very flexible for pipe creation, and you can fine tune your pipes!
- Now you can rotation your plane at drawn location by pressing P key !! (no need to press Ctrl + P).
The functions of P and Ctrl + P are swapped. Now P key rotate your plane at drawn location, and Ctrl + P for plane rotation at plane center.
Enhanced Plane Rotation (Ctrl + P) function!
- Now you can use Ctrl + P even only one point on the grid
- Now the plane is always centered on your last drawn location !
You can draw Edge lines easily !
- Added render resolution and bevel resolution (separated) to Pipe tool
New Plane Rotation !!
- Now when you draw, you can press Ctrl + P to rotate the plane at your last drawn location! You can press Ctrl + P repeatedly to rotate it (facing top, left, front).
This is a very convenient function for drawing Edge-Pipe around your mesh !
- Updated on screen hint text
New function : Edge Pipe Tool
- Now you can create edges or pipes !
You can create edge or pipes by pressing 9 key.
By default it will create edges using your shapes.
If you want to create edges without closing shape, you can use Spacebar key. When you are drawing shape, you can press spacebar key to exit drawing anytime.
After pressing 9 key to commit, you can change options in Left-bottom panel. You can check "Pipe" option to create pipes.
Enjoy !! :)
- Fixed a bug causing unwanted mesh hiding
- Auto disable Isolation for using Boolean Cut in view-plane mode
This is an Important Update !
- Improved the stability for Boolean Cut using "Isolation" method
(hiding other meshes when doing boolean)
This is an option in the Left-bottom panel. By default it is turned on.
Isolation mode fix many boolean bugs (big hole, mesh disappear, etc)
- Fixed a bug for extremely small mesh (guard calculation error)
Known Issues and Limitation
1.This addon is a direct modeling tool, without modifiers. Boolean operation is destructive and apply directly. The resulting mesh is filled by blender's n-gon.
2. Overlapping shapes will cause strange geometry. However, you can overlap the shapes if you use "new face" mode, it will still create all shapes without problem.
3. This addon uses Blender's dissolve API, it is a bit unstable and it does not fill the faces correctly sometimes. (for n-gon and triangle fill modes)
This is a simple usage guideline of Grid Modeler.
Grid Modeler has many in-depth functions and advanced usage, please refer to documentation ( https://www.kushirocg.com/gridmodeler )
Simple guideline :
1. Select a face, or multiple faces (co-planar), run the tool by right click menu. (you may add it to Q menu for quick access).
2. You will see the grid lines. Your mouse cursor will auto snap to grid lines.
3. Ctrl + mouse wheel to adjust the grid size.
- You may choose between two size modes (A key), relative mode and absolute mode :
Relative mode :
Measure your mesh edge length to set the size.
Absolute mode :
Use Blender's system measurement. If you want to keep your objects same size, you may use absolute mode.
- You can use Alt + mouse wheel scroll to enlarge the grid plane. The grid plane can be larger than the face. When you want to add new mesh on top of selected face, you always want to Alt-scroll to enlarge the plane before drawing.
4. You can change the grid alignment. Ctrl + Left click an edge, it will align whole grid plane to the edge.
By default, the tool measure the face and orient the plane using longest edge of your face. You can override this by above method.
5. Now you can draw on the grids. During drawing, you can change the grid scale anytime (Ctrl + Scroll wheel), and you can change the alignment too.
6. On the left bottom of the screen, there are some hints for your convenience.
7. If you want to Copy / Paste / Delete your shape, you may enter "Selection mode". You can switch to selection mode by Right Click mouse button once. (right click again to back to normal mode)
In Selection mode, you can drag and draw a yellow rectangle to select shapes. You can select multiple shapes.
You can delete them by pressing Delete key.
You can duplicate the shape by select it, then press D key.
Also you can press Ctrl + C to copy, and then Ctrl V to paste, Ctrl X to cut. You can paste it many times.
When you have selected shapes, you can press G key to move it, R key to rotate it, and press M or N key to flip it.
You can press B key to bevel the shape. Select shapes and press B, then move your mouse cursor to adjust. Scrolling the mouse wheel to increase bevel cut.
8. After all, you can Right Click again to leave selection mode, and go back to normal mode. You can continue and draw again.
9. When you finish, you can commit operation by pressing 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 key on the top of keyboard.
They represent different operations :
1 : Cut the face and fill by n-gon
2 : Cut the face and fill by triangles
3 : Create a new face from shape
4 : Boolean subtract cut
5 : Boolean slice
You can still change the operation after commit. (by the blender's menu, left bottom of the screen)
10. When you draw, you can use Circle tool to draw Circle / Triangle / Square / Pentagon / Hexagon, or any edge-shape.
Press C key to activate, press C again to deactivate.
Shift + Mouse Wheel to change the number of circle edges. (turn to 3 edges will become a triangle)
1. Absolute size mode is very useful and recommended. It keep the same grid size, across any face, any objects. It can make whole scene very cool and clean.
2. Boolean Cut mode, work well on the borders, and it is fun and great. If it does not cut correctly, you may try to align the grid to that border edge (Ctrl + Click)
If the Boolean fail (it does not cut anything), you should adjust the "offset" parameter, to make the faces of the geometry not overlapping. (blender's boolean limitation)
Also, if the face's normal is flipped (incorrect normal), you may need to fix the mesh normals first.
3. You may select multiple faces (with same normal, co-planar) and use this tool. You can draw across multiple n-gons, it works great.
- Only standard mouse and keyboard are supported.
I only tested with standard mouse and keyboard. This addon does not officially support other device (eg: wacom tablet, 3d-mouse, vr glove, etc) yet.
Therefore, it may not work with your special hardware. I didn't test them.
Please reconsider before buying it, thank you.
Download and Install
After purchase, you can download the zip file.
I uploaded two versions of Grid Modeler (one is latest, one is older), please install the latest file. The older file is for emergency only (if the latest one has critical bug).
Open Blender's Edit > Preference > Add-ons, then click install on the top of dialog.
Select the zip file to install. (Do not unzip it, the zip file has to be installed as a whole)
When I release new update, I will announce it on Twitter.
Please come back here and download it. Before update please uninstall the old one in blender and remove it completely. Then install the new zip file again. If there is any problem, you may contact me by email or Twitter.
Contacts and Support
Thank you for visiting! Hope you enjoy it.
If you like this product, please buy it to support my development.
I am interested in making different kinds of blender's addon, I enjoy it so much :)
* You only need to purchase once, and you can download updates for free !
If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact me on twitter !
Email : email@example.com
For more information and documentation, please visit my website:
My youtube channel (contains videos of Grid Modeler)
You've purchased this product
See it in your libraryView in Library
We charged your card and sent you a receipt
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Good news! Since you already have a Gumroad account, it's also been added to your library.