Making readers care and feel like they’re part of the story should be the number one goal of all writers. Ironically, many storytellers fail to maximize one of fiction’s most powerful elements to achieve this: the setting. Rather than being a simple backdrop against which events unfold, every location has the potential to become a conduit for conveying emotion, characterizing the cast, providing opportunities for deep point of view, and revealing significant backstory.
Inside The Urban Setting Thesaurus, you’ll find:
• A list of the sights, smells, tastes, textures, and sounds for over 120 urban settings
• Possible sources of conflict for each location to help you brainstorm ways to naturally complicate matters for your characters
• Advice on how to make every piece of description count so you can maintain the right pace and keep readers engaged
• Tips on utilizing the five senses to encourage readers to more fully experience each moment by triggering their own emotional memories
• Information on how to use the setting to characterize a story’s cast through personalization and emotional values while using emotional triggers to steer their decisions
• A review of specific challenges that arise when writing urban locations, along with common descriptive pitfalls that should be avoided
The Urban Setting Thesaurus helps you tailor each setting to your characters while creating a realistic, textured world readers will long to return to, even after the book closes.
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Thank you for your purchase. If you find this resource useful, please check out its companion: The Rural Setting Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Personal and Natural Places. We have other books in our series that can help with various parts of the writing process: The Emotional Wound Thesaurus, The Negative and Positive Trait Thesauruses, The Urban and Rural Setting Thesauruses, and a second edition of our popular Emotion Thesaurus. This expanded volume contains 55 additional entries and expanded front matter.
The entries from our entire 14-thesaurus collection can also be found at One Stop For Writers (www.onestopforwriters.com), our unique online library meant to help writers elevate their storytelling.
We appreciate your support. For more information about our books and to access downloadable tools and free resources for authors, please visit our website at www.writershelpingwriters.net.