This is a modeling tool for Blender 2.79 and 2.80 that lets you use curves to deform your mesh, allowing you to make beautiful shapes.
It's useful for blocking and polishing forms of organic and hardsurface meshes.
- Projection selection mode
- Sequence selection mode
- Curve grab mode
- Editing a plane
- Editing a cube
- Demonstration video by Luis Cherubini (@luischerub)
How to install
On Blender, go to File > User Preferences > Add-ons, then press the "Install Add-on from File" button. Select the ZIP file that you downloaded from Gumroad to install it (choose the appropriate version for your Blender).
After installed, tick the add-on checkbox to enable it, and save your user preferences.
How to use
It's very simple: you select two or more vertices where you want the control points of the curve to be, then activate this tool.
A curve will appear and you can grab / rotate / scale its control points. When you do that, the mesh will follow along.
When you're done, hit Enter to confirm or Esc to cancel it.
- You can also use this tool by selecting a sequence of connected vertices. Just make sure your selection doesn't loop.
- You can also start this tool without selecting any vertices, leading you to the "projection" mode where you can click to set where the control points of the curve should appear (example).
There are some default keys that you can use while the tool is on (you can see / change all of them in the add-on preferences):
- (Q) Use Extremes: toggles the deformations caused by the start and end control points of the curve. This is best used when either of the ends of the curve starts from a sharp turn of your mesh.
- (E) Use Direction: toggles the use of the curve orientation (tangent) to deform the mesh, in addition to using its position.
- (PageUp / PageDown / W) Falloff settings: lets you change how the curve affects nearby vertices, much like Blender's Proportional Edit mode (aka "soft selection").
- Fix for when you open a new scene file while the tool is still on.
- Added a warning when you try to edit a mesh with a shapekey set to zero strength (so no changes will be visible until you apply the tool).
- Added a simple support for editing Lattice objects with the curve. At the moment it lets you pick 2 points of the lattice to make a curve between them.
- Changed the Proportional Edit Mode ui to be a drop-down menu. This makes it clearer what mode you're currently in.
- Minor fix with 2.80 and local view mode.
- Include support for the Cmd modifier key so that Undo can be used on macOS systems.
- Add a preference to disable grab-mode and/or change the modifier key (only Ctrl, Alt and Cmd [Mac OS] available).
- Add a preference to set knot handle types to "Vector" after a Snap Straight operation.
- Improved the grab mode behavior on key release.
- Fix for a hidden collections bug, now the curve is always put in the master collection.
- Fix for when using the Distance / Connected falloff modes and some startup-snapping modes.
- Fix for when any mesh modifiers are set to show in the viewport but not in Edit mode.
- Fix for when the falloff is set to zero and the tool confirmed.
- Fix for a rare snapping bug.
(. . .)
- Initial release.
You can reach me at: