This book shows you how to add a guestbook, order form, page counter, or other interactive elements to your website using Perl and CGI. You'll learn:
• Where to write your CGI programs; how to upload them and set file permissions; how to run them, and how to debug them when things go wrong
• How to decode form data and save it to a file or e-mail it to yourself
• How to create, read, write, and search files
• How to use Server-Side Includes to add dynamic content to your web site, plus a complete list of Apache SSI directives
• How to use random numbers for displaying banner ads and random images
• How to redirect visitors to another site
• How to extend your programs with modules
• How to create a MySQL database, and write programs that interact with databases using the DBI module
• How to build an online shopping cart
• How to e-mail attachments with a CGI
• How to write secure programs, and protect your programs against hackers and spammers
• How to password-protect an area of your website
. . . and much more!
to read the first six chapters online, and to view sample code from the book.