Want to use your programming abilities to give your team superpowers?
Chatbots are the next level of development tooling. Instead of passive scripts and cron jobs, your automations can act as richly interactive and helpful members of your team.
Thinking of taking the plunge into into bot development? Let’s explore it together! Daniel Pritchett is the author of the book Build Chatbot Interactions, and I’m Avdi Grimm, host of the renowned RubyTapas screencast series. Together in this live pair-programming video, we’ll take you from first steps to plugging your first bot into Slack, using the Lita framework.
In 80 minutes of video, you’ll follow along as we:
- Install Lita and dependencies
- Discuss how Lita differs from Hubot
- Create a new bot and a new handler using generators
- Use the Lita console to debug handlers
- Use Pry to interactively explore Lita APIs
- Explore how Lita isolates handlers into their own Rubygems
- Practice test-driven chatbot development with RSpec
- Use advanced Ruby regex features to parse commands
- Connect and integrate a bot with Slack
- Trigger bot actions using the Lita HTTP API
No suspiciously-easy manufactured scenarios here—this is a footage of an honest and unrehearsed pair-programming session. We’ve edited out breaks, installation waits, and long pauses. But otherwise this is authentic programming, including whoopsies and head-scratching moments!
Ready to power-up your team with chatops? Join Daniel and I, and let’s make a chatbot in Ruby!
(This product is currently in Beta. It includes a preliminary edit of the video, but does not yet include source code, notes, or a table of contents)