In this in-depth video Justin Sterling provides a comprehensive introduction to contract fundamentals for those working in media and the entertainment industry. If you are a writer, producer, or actor this is a critical video for you to watch. It will help you:
- Avoid making contracts by accident that give other people control of your projects by accident
- Avoid unwanted legal entanglements that give people rights to your work and the income it produces that can't be terminated even when they don't make good on their commitments.
- What to do when people change the terms of a deal at the last minute and you have no option but to accept those terms.
- Understand the elements of a contract and when a contract exists between two people even when it hasn't been written down and signed by both parties.
- Know when you absolutely must bring a lawyer on board to help you create an agreement with a co-writer, co-producer, contractors, employees, etc.
This primer for media makers is not a replacement for working with a lawyer to make good agreements and it should not be relied upon for legal advice.
But it is a very good introduction to principles you should know if you are writing, publishing, producing, or working for others in the entertainment industry as a contractor of service provider.
“ Nancy you are amazing. Thank you for doing all this to benefit all of us newcomers. ” — DP
“ Very relevant and helpful. Nancy, you're doing a great job! Thank you! ”
— Pamela Davis
“ Nancy is amazing and such a gift to the filmmaking community. ”
— Jim Henson
“ Nancy, you amaze me with your giving spirit and ability to bring such great guests on board. Thanks for all you do to help us excel in our careers. ”
— Susan Shearer
“ A very useful, educational resource that is incredibly generous in giving knowledge and expertise to the film making community. ”
— Pippa Hinchley
“ Good information resource. Well organized. ”
“ Nancy's Film Funding Club is very valuable. Always lots of great information. It's very obvious that she puts a lot of work into these seminars for us (slide shows, audio recordings, coordinating guest speakers, etc.). I am very grateful and appreciative to her and her guests for their time and talent to help further our careers. ”
“ interesting, innovative approach. thank you, Nancy! ”
— Camille Bacos
About the Film Funding Club: “ I'm thoroughly enjoying this club. I wish I had found out about it way earlier, I'd be way ahead of the game. I would recommend this club to anyone who truly wants to learn the business aspect of the film industry. ”
— Reinaldo D'Amico