This book will teach you to analyze real-world datasets with the command line. Become an expert at using Bash, one of the tools of the trade of the data scientist.
Get a free chapter here!
What will I learn?
Through self-contained, step-by-step adventures, you will:
- Become proficient in Bash, one of the tools of the trade in data science
- Learn to download and explore publicly-available datasets
- Learn to extract relevant information from data files
- Learn to transform and combine data files to answer a question
Using publicly-available datasets and Bash, you will learn to answer questions such as:
- Does GDP correlate with life expectancy?
- What is the average tip of a NYC cab driver?
- How often are flights late to their destination?
- Do Chipotle customers prefer chicken or steak burritos?
Why data science?
Increasingly, data science is occupying a greater part of our lives and our work. Whether you are a developer, journalist, biologist, or financial analyst, the ability to analyze data to quickly answer a question is a powerful skill to have, and it’s what this book will help you develop.
Is this book for me?
This book requires no coding experience and is perfect for:
- Developers who want to add Bash and other command line tools to their bag of tricks
- Students who want to learn Bash and the command line to improve their career prospects
- Journalists who want to polish their reporting by analyzing publicly-available datasets
- Scientists who want to learn to explore and analyze the data that their lab generates
Which commands do you cover?
Throughout the adventures in this book, you will learn commands such as head, less, grep, cut, sort, uniq, curl, awk, and join. The book also covers concepts such as pipes, for loops, variables, arrays, and command substitution.
Does Bash work on all computers?
Yes! Bash comes preinstalled on Linux and Mac computers. If you use Windows, you can install the program Cygwin to obtain the same command line interface (detailed installation instructions are included in the book).
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Good news! Since you already have a Gumroad account, it's also been added to your library.Tweet Share