Nickita (with the red zipper), Nickie, and Nickole are three zippin’ sisters. These fun bags are all made from the same set of ingredients. An all-purpose zipper is easy to install with Joan’s tips and tricks.
Nickities are wonderful made from fat quarters, pre-quilted fabric, or use a bunch of scraps and piece a scrappy cover.
Basic sewing skills: straight stitch, zigzag stitch and 1/4” seam are used in this project.
Nickita: 3”x 4”x 9”, Nickie: 6” x 12”, Nickole: 7” x 12”
- 2 Fat quarters* of fabric - One for the cover, one for the lining/handles.
- 16” x 16” square of Dreamy Fusible Fleece by Lazy Girl.
- 12” all-purpose polyester zipper in a color to coordinate with your fabrics.
- Optional: Six inches of up to 3/8” wide ribbon to decorate the zipper pull.
*1 Fat quarter of pre-quilted fabric can be used in place of fabric and fleece. You
will also need a piece 4” x 18” of non-quilted fabric for the handles.
- A walking foot or even feed foot is recommended.
- Use 100% cotton quilting weight fabric.
- Straight and zigzag stitching.
- Size 70/10 or 80/12 SCHMETZ universal or Microtex sewing machine needle.
- Erasable marking tool recommended.
- Follow manufacturers directions for fusibles. Press cloth optional when working with fusible fleece.