What are your options when you want to buy a house?
You can either search for one by yourself or you can hire an expert to scout the best houses available on the market that fit your needs.
I propose the same kind of service but to scout for external technology/IP/expertise for your next product development project so that you do not have to reinvent the wheel and keep your strategic engineering resources focused on more important things (HMI, certifications, etc.).
More specifically: this service is for product owners/managers looking to save time, costs and development risks by using external technology/IP/expertise.
For example, if you develop a smart camera system you may need some algorithm for face recognition. You have the choice to build this algorithm yourself or the buy/license it from a third party.
While using external technology can be the right choice on paper, to make it happen is another thing and I can help you on this side by operating everything that is between your need and the steps required to find, select and transfer the technology into your product and in the right form factor.
Why sourcing technology/IP/expertise from R&D centers can be a good option?
There are thousands of professional researchers located in universities and private R&D centers developing new technologies every day and looking product firms who could benefit from them. Why not leverage their work to your advantage?
The main benefit is to access state-of-the-art and rare-to-find expertise on a specific problem (and all the expensive test equipment required). From there you will be able to use their expertise toward finding solutions to one or a few of your specific needs. Technology that is behind this expertise is typically protected by patents so once it works for you, you may have the opportunity to license this technology and increase barriers to competition. Engineering work executed by such R&D labs is typically heavily funded by government programs so that each dollar you spend will by multiplied by a factor 2 to 5 (and sometimes more). You may even hire the Ph.D. student that has worked on your project once it is terminated!
On the other side, technology found in R&D labs typically have low maturity of TRL3-4 (proof of concept, prototypes) but some can have TRL9 when already in used in a real application (Licensed to another application than yours).
This process of taking technologies from R&D labs into real product is called Technology Transfer and well explained in this 2 minutes video from AUTM (see below).
Here is the 3 month program I am proposing you:
1- Initial call: to roughly determine your needs and define your objectives. I will also present you my methodology and how I work.
2- SoW: I will build a Statement-of-Work (SoW) document defining your exact needs in terms of technology function (what it does) and technology integration (how it can fit in your product). This document also details your project timeline and estimated budget.
3- Scouting project execution: Over a three month period, I will scan the market for the best technologies available, gather information on their status and maturity (TRL) and build a pipeline of the 3 best options available for you. With multiple options on the table, you can take the best decision for your project: to pursue scouting, the move on with a technology or to stop.
4- Result presentation: After the three month period, I will show you the results of my investigations and propose you options for the next steps. This presentation will be sent to you as a deliverable.
5- Technology transfer: Upon decision to move on with a technology, I will manage the whole process for you: negotiation with R&D lab, maturation process to delivery process, etc. so that you keep focus on your product development.
Pricing for 3 months project (per technology): $7,500
- Initial call: FREE and no-engagement at this point (go or no-go).
- SoW: included
- Scouting project: 3 full days (1 day per month)
- Results presentation call: included
- I suppose you already have a well-defined product definition supporting a well-defined business case (If not I can help you with it).
- Prices in $CAN for Canadian companies and in $US for US companies.
Scouting executed by: Marc Perron, ing., Ph.D. based in Quebec City, Canada.
- 12 years of experience analyzing and commercializing technologies coming from academia research in many different fields of application (lasers, photonics, medical devices, EV charging stations, food industry, etc.) and business models (software licensing, product selling, service offering, etc.).
- I have a well-established international network in the field of electronics (semiconductor, software, sensors, power electronics, etc.), their applications (lasers, motor drives, electric vehicles, charging stations, etc.) and their markets (industrial, medical, automotive, mining, aerospace, etc.).
- My key skill is to be fluent in both technical and business languages. Hence, I can understand deep technical/product vision from inventors and articulate it correctly so that it quickly get traction on the business side (customers, partners, investors).
- Ethics: I am a member of the Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec and Senior IEEE Member.
I am open to discuss any special needs to help you reach for business objectives.
How to start?
Click on the 'I want this!' button on the right to set up an intro call (indicate $0 as fair price).
You've purchased this product
See it in your libraryView in Library
We charged your card and sent you a receipt
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Good news! Since you already have a Gumroad account, it's also been added to your library.