6 videos (26 minutes)Don’t be fooled by this ordinary title! There is a ton here. My experience is that even most intermediate and advanced players do not have a full grasp of the organization of the instrument.
The videos provide a full explanation of the 12-page document “Map of the Dulcimer.” These videos along with “The Map” should provide years of exploration and discovery in order to achieve a full appreciation and understanding of the instrument.
- Mapping the dulcimer: identifying keys; location of accidentals; the circle of fifths organization of the instrument; identifying intervals (location of half and whole steps)
- Hammering technique and issues: keeping hands low, hammer heads up, avoiding indiscriminate bouncing, where to strike (tone) and much more
- Three ways of playing scales and the importance of “duplicated” notes; octave and opposite direction scales to build equality of hands; “thirds” scales
- Three note chord patterns: “right” and “left” patterns; deriving three note chords from “shed,” “parallelogram” and “Nevada” shapes; brief discussion on the importance of learning to “harmonize a scale”
- Five root position arpeggio shapes: combining the five root position arpeggios to play the entire range of arpeggios; major, minor and diminished chords
- “Random” movement through arpeggios: hand independence using arpeggios; learning to see the entire range of arpeggios and chords through random movement
- Includes a written Map of the Dulcimer document
***Videos can be streamed, downloaded, or viewed in the Gumroad App on mobile devices. Watch your email for instructions after purchase***
Thank you for your support - I hope you enjoy these videos and get a lot out of them! Please do not share your purchased music and videos.
Recorded 2014 Sandbridge Hammered Dulcimer Retreat
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Thanks for your purchase. Visit www.kenkolodner.com/videolessons for new tunes, upgrade options, and to vote for future tunes.