There's nothing natural about Functional Programming.
It's awkward, it feels funny, there's something not right about it ... and then one day you start to see the world differently and you can't remember what was so difficult.
This hand-on, fast-moving kickstart will provide you with a new set of skills that you can add to - not replace - your current favorite programming techniques.
In part one we look at the fundamentals of functional programming and some of the best practices
Chapter 1: There are the old standbys:- favor immutability,
- prefer value types over reference types, and
- watch out for side-effects
Chapter 2: You'll learn that functions aren't special:- we can pass them around
- we can store them in properties
Chapter 3: You play with higher-order functions:
- create functions that accept other functions as parameters
- return new functions from functions
- play with closures, currying, and custom operators
Chapter 4: This is a palette cleanser between parts one and two.
- we explore higher-order functions from the Swift Standard Library that work with Arrays
- we experiment with combining some of these functions and methods to see how we might benefit from this functional approach
In part two we finish by looking in depth at some of those functions and extending them to functional design patterns:
Chapter 5: We look at map() as a pattern
- we implement and use map() in a variety of types
- you see the common pieces in the various map()s
- you consider where you might want to add map() to your own types
Chapter 6: We look at flatMap() as a pattern
- we implement and use flatMap() in many of the types we used for map()
- we compare and contrast flatMap() with map() we see where we get more benefit but more is required of us
Chapter 7: We finish with two other common higher-order functions
This is a beta release that currently contains chapters 1 - 6
We charged your card and sent you a receipt
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Thank you - I will send a note when there are updates.
Good news! Since you already have a Gumroad account, it's also been added to your library.