HairTG - Hair & Fur is a hair/fur texture generator for Substance Designer (texturing) and a 3D hair card creation add-on for Blender.
On Substance Designer, it creates procedural hair/fur clump textures suitable for hair cards, brushes or 2D hair work. It can also be used to generate non-hair textures for designs based on patterns along curves.
The Blender 2.8 add-on offers multiple tools to ease creation of hair card based 3D hair models, hair card UV unwrap, modeling and composition.
Part 1: SD intro, basic Hair & Fur concepts and output maps
Part 2: Hair & Fur parameters continued
Part 3: Colorization
Part 4: Tiling and map usage in Toolbag and UE4
Part 5: 7 hair design examples
Part 6: New features in version 2.5
New in version 2.5.1
This hotfix release fixes an issue with pattern resolution usage in the main HairTG - Hair & Fur sbsar Substance.
New in version 2.5
HairTG - Hair & Fur is now composed of three categories of components:
- Substance Designer Substances to generate hair/fur textures
- a new Substance Designer plugin to handle automation tasks
- a new Blender add-on to handle 3D hair card management
Substance Designer 2019.3 or above is required. The Blender add-on is built for Blender 2.81a.
Here are the main new features in HairTG - Hair & Fur 2.5:
- Three 3D hair samples with tiling graphs, textures, 3D models and Toolbag scenes.
- Updated templates and samples.
Substance Designer Substances:
- Freestyle and Regular operation modes are now merged into a single Hair & Fur Substance, the Freestyle sbsar variant has been removed. A Mode parameter is used to choose the mode of operation. This functionality is possible only since Substance Designer 2019.3, this is why this version (or above) is required.
- Infinite Hair in Freestyle mode: joins the last and first control points to create a continuous curve, ideal to make hair bun cards. The Depth Profile Substance has also been upgraded to support vertical tiling in order to prevent any issue with depth continuity when Infinite Hair is being used.
- Combiner is a new Substance used to combine the maps of multiple hair clumps (up to 5). This way you may design a clump with multiple Hair & Fur instances and combine them afterwards, the Combiner Substance will handle the proper map blending automatically. Combiners can also be combined together.
- The new Hair Clump parameter section enables to position the whole clump within the texture and resize it. Resizing is made without changing the hair strand thickness, enabling to design an initial clump and resize it later function of other clumps into a tiling graph for instance.
- New Depth Separation parameters (in Outputs/Depth) enable to offset hair strands from each other in depth space. This is a bit like combining an ID map with a Depth map, but operated while the strand is being drawn. This results in depth maps having more contrast.
- Various small changes and fixed, see the Release Notes for details.
Substance Designer plugin
Once installed, the plugin adds a new menu in the Substance Designer menu bar with the following functionalities:
- Copy of tiling parameters between Tiler instances: this helps with the fast tiling scenario where a single map type is first being tiled with a Tiler instance then its parameters are reported into the Global Tiler. Parameters can now be easily transferred between Tiler instances without the need to copy them over manually.
- Tiling graph creation: a dialog box lets users define the size of a tiling graph (row, columns) and various other parameters such as resolution, maps to include, intermediary nodes etc. A tiling graph is then automatically created based on these parameters.
The Blender 2.81a add-on provides several utilities to facilitate hair card creation, UV unwrapping and composition. It has the following features:
- Automatic hair card UV unwrapping based on their position relatively to a reference mesh.
- Random UV horizontal offsets can be generated in order to quickly produce a variety of textured cards using an underlying texture created to that attention.
- Card folding with 3 folding types, Random, Fixed and Curved to provide cards with thickness. Folding can be operated from a flat state or the current folding state enabling combination of folding types. Folding can be reversed and canceled.
- Card combination: sets of 2 or 3 cards can be combined to provide them a better appearance when viewed from different angles. Four combination types are available for 2-card and 3-card sets. Once combined, cards can still be moved/rotated until they are joined into a single mesh.
- Card origin can be set to the card root automatically, either on a single card or a card combination, enabling to create longer or shorter hair with a simple sizing operation.
- Hair card association to particle hair grooming: this powerful feature enables usage of the native Blender 3D hair grooming system to generate hair curves which are then associated to hair cards. Curves can then be edited independently with cards following their paths.
- The Replace Cards function enables to replace a set of cards with another card, even when associated to curves.
- A Finalize tool generates a hair model (single mesh or multiple hair cards meshes) from the card/curve associations.
- A Utility section provides convenience functions to assign/remove materials, duplicate cards without duplicating their material and rename objects in various ways.
For new items in earlier versions, please see the Release Notes enclosed in the package.
HairTG - Hair & Fur for Substance Designer overall features
- Create various hair style textures, straight hair, wavy, curly and braids as well as designs not related to hair, suitable for 2D and 3D applications in particular hair/fur cards.
- Templates (startup files), Samples (design examples) and Presets (predefined Substance parameters) for quick start ups.
- A User Manual guiding you through the parameters and usages. A Getting Started section will have you set up with a hair design even if you are new to Substance Designer.
- Three user interface display modes: Basic, Limited and Full controls, enabling users to progressively learn about the various parameters of the tools.
- Outputs Mask, Alpha, ID (grayscale and color), Depth, Flow, Gradient Ramp (Root map) and Color maps which can be tiled into global textures with provided tiling components. Normal/Ambient Occlusion maps may be derived from the Depth map if needed. 16 bits outputs for Depth/Alpha/ID maps.
- Automatic variation generation by simply changing a randomness setting.
- Two colorization modes, Group and Length provide hair coloring per hair group and along the hair length.
- Support for up to 10 parent hair strands from which an unlimited(*) number of child strands can be generated, globally or per parent strand. Parent strands can be individually positioned and rotated within the clump along with their related strands.
- Up to 10 vertical control points from which strands can be curved and manipulated in various ways (taper, spread, rotate etc.).
- Subdivisions provide grouping abilities, they are unlimited(*) strands each parent or child strand can generate to thicken hair sections. Parameters to create stray strands are also provided.
- Freestyle mode enables placement of control points directly on the 2D view to create the most curvy shapes. It also supports “infinite hair” joining hair root and tip to design hair bun cards.
- Combiner lets you combine multiple hair designs to create a new one, automatically blending the maps of each design.
- Tiler (per map type) and Global Tiler (all maps) take hair clump maps and positions them into composite textures ready to be used in game engine, 3D modelers or renderers. Tiling graphs can be automatically created using a dedicated plugin, also enabling to copy parameters between Tiler instances.
- Hair clumps can be resized without altering the strand thickness, letting users going back to an earlier design and adjust it so it fits in the overall design of a set of clumps.
- Hair strand thickness control independently at root and tip, with midpoint and three variation types.
- Independent, automatic depth profile generation, modifiable with Substance Designer nodes before plugging into he hair generator.
- Hair strand length controls in various ways including random factors.
- A powerful modulation section to create wavy, curly hair and braids, but also cordage and other types of creative designs.
- Child hair strands combing for the whole clump or partially.
- Support for automatic and user-provided depth profiles (to generate the Depth map). Depth profile management can be refined by user defined nodes. Depth profiles can be visualized as curves.
- Root and tip fade effects application to several maps.
- Strand thickness for Mask and related maps can be adjusted.
- Four default patterns and possibility to use custom patterns, grayscale or color.
- Various pattern configuration settings: number of iterations, size, dynamic size, automatic rotation, depth control.
- Utility output with optional overlay of control point numbers.
(*) unlimited in the user interface, limitation from the hardware or Substance runtime may apply.
Content of the pack
Three 3D hair samples with sbs tiling graph, rendered textures and Toolbag scene.
12 Substances in sbsar format: Hair & Fur, Depth Profile, Combiner, Tiler (grayscale/color), Global Tiler, AutoCrop, AutoCrop Settings, Map Viewer, Identity (grayscale/color, sbsar and sbs).
- Substance Designer presets in .bsprs format
- Substance Designer samples in sbs format
- Substance Designer templates in sbs format
- A Blender add-on for Blender 2.81a in zip form, installable in Blender
- User Manuals for the Substance Designer components and Blender add-on
- Release notes
HairTG - Hair & Fur is designed to be used with Substance Designer 2019.3 or above for the Substance part and Blender 2.81a for the Blender add-on.
Licenses are single seat only. You cannot resell or distribute the package or some of its content into a form that would expose it to reuse.
Commercial Studio: the tool and generated textures may be used for commercial projects, for individuals, schools or companies with revenue above USD $100K a year.
Commercial Indie: the tool and generated textures may be used for commercial projects, for individuals, schools or companies with revenue below USD $100K a year.
Non-commercial: for personal use (not companies), the product can be used for non-commercial projects. This license also enables usage in a single commercial project with a maximum of 2000 sales or 20000 views.
The product is not refundable.