HairTG - Hair & Fur is a texture generation tool for Substance Designer. It creates procedural hair/fur clump textures suitable for hair cards, brushes or 2D hair work. It can also be used to generate non-hair textures for designs based on patterns along curves. You may check the teaser video.
Part 1: SD intro, basic Hair & Fur concepts and output maps
Part 2: Hair & Fur parameters continued
Part 3: Colorization
Part 4: Tiling and map usage in Toolbag and UE4
Part 5: 7 hair design examples
New in version 2.1
- Flow map improvements: better accuracy, simplified and optional filter, better edge management, optional orientated background generation, solid or using dilation.
- Performance improvements, pattern resolution is also now selectable.
- Tiler Substances support individual texture rotation and Flow map background generation.
- Usage instructions for Toolbag and UE4, plus a Toolbag sample scene.
- A few fixes, details in the Release Notes.
Only the main new functionalities are listed here, a detailed list of changes is available in the package's Release Notes.
Three parameter display modes, Basic, Limited and Full Controls enabling users to progressively get familiar with the functionalities.
- Samples (full example designs), Templates (start-up files) and Presets (set of parameters to start up on various designs) to ease learning and start quickly on a given design.
- A powerful Modulation section enabling creation of various types of curly hair. Sine and triangle based modulations are available, frequency and amplitude settings including randomization options, frequency modulation, amplitude fade, multiple types of sine-based modulation, low modulation strands etc.
- Related Strands, a sub-section of Modulation, used to correlate hair strand groups in a predefined way. This enables the creation of braids and cordage.
- Subdivision strands: a new type of strand generation enabling to thicken and group hair strands. Stray strands can also be generated going out of the subdivision group for more realism.
- Colorization: two colorization modes, Group and Length which can be used independently or combined using various blend modes. Group Colorization assigns colors per hair groups (multiple grouping organizations are available) while Length Colorization colorizes strands from root to tip. Colorization and transparency can also be driven by depth.
- Depth Profile management is now handled as an independent Substance, leaving users the possibility to modify depth profile textures before passing them to Hair & Fur.
- Four default patterns and dynamic pattern sizing enabling to reduce the iteration count and drive various effects such as fluff.
- Global Tiler, a tiling Substance enabling to tile every map of all hair clumps at once.
- The ID map is now a color output and supports both grayscale and color ID maps.
- The Gradient Ramp map has now a dedicated output, it is not necessary to derive it from the Mask output anymore.
- The Utility output can now display any map with an optional overlay showing control point locations (control point overlay requires usage of a single parent strand).
- User Manual update, easier to get into for new users with Getting Started section, design guides and illustrations.
Create various hair style textures, straight hair, wavy, curly and braids as well as designs not related to hair, suitable for 2D and 3D applications in particular hair/fur cards.
- Templates (startup files), Samples (design examples) and Presets (predefined Substance parameters) for quick start ups.
- A 70+ pages illustrated User Manual guiding you through the parameters and usages. A Getting Started section will have you set up with a hair design even if you are new to Substance Designer.
- Three user interface display modes: Basic, Limited and Full controls, enabling users to progressively learn about the various parameters of the tools.
- Outputs Mask, Alpha, ID (grayscale and color), Depth, Flow, Gradient Ramp (Root map) and Color maps which can be tiled into global textures with provided tiling components. Normal/Ambient Occlusion maps may be derived from the Depth map if needed. 16 bits outputs for Depth/Alpha/ID maps.
- Automatic variations generation by simply changing a randomness setting.
- Two colorization modes, Group and Length provide hair coloring per hair group and along the hair length.
- Support for up to 10 parent hair strands from which an unlimited(*) number of child strands can be generated, globally or per parent strand. Parent strands can be individually positioned and rotated within the clump along with their related strands.
- Up to 10 vertical control points from which strands can be curved and manipulated in various ways (taper, spread, rotate etc.).
- Subdivisions provide grouping abilities, they are unlimited(*) strands each parent or child strand can generate to thicken hair sections. Parameters to create stray strands are also provided.
- Freestyle enables placement of control points directly on the 2D view to create the most curvy shapes.
- Tiler (per map type) and Global Tiler (all maps) take hair clump maps and positions them into composite textures ready to be used in game engine, 3D modelers or renderers.
- Hair strand thickness control independently at root and tip, with midpoint and three variation types.
- Independent, automatic depth profile generation, modifiable with Substance Designer nodes before plugging into he hair generator. Depth profiles can be visualized as curves, users can also provide their own profiles.
- Hair strand length controls in various ways including random factors.
- A powerful modulation section to create wavy, curly hair and braids, but also cordage and other types of creative designs.
- Child hair strands combing for the whole clump or partially.
- Root and tip fade effects application to several maps.
- Strand thickness for Mask and related maps can be adjusted.
- Four default patterns and possibility to use custom patterns, grayscale or color.
- Various pattern configuration settings: number of iterations, size, dynamic size, automatic rotation, depth control.
- Utility output with optional overlay of control point numbers.
(*) unlimited in the user interface, limitation from the hardware or Substance runtime may apply.
Content of the pack
12 Substances in sbsar format: Hair & Fur, Hair & Fur Freestyle, Depth Profile, Tiler (grayscale/color), Global Tiler, AutoCrop, AutoCrop Settings, Map Viewer, Identity (grayscale/color).
- Presets in .bsprs format
- Samples in sbs format
- Templates in sbs format
- User Manual
- Release notes
HairTG - Hair & Fur is designed to be used inside Substance Designer 2019.2.0 or above. It is recommended to use it into this environment, it may however run with other sbsar hosts respecting the same specifications, not all features may be available though, the User Manual describes possible limitations.
Licenses are single seat only. You cannot resell or distribute the package or some of its content into a form that would expose it to reuse.
Commercial Studio: the tool and generated textures may be used in commercial projects, for individuals, schools or companies with revenue above USD $100K a year.
Commercial Indie: the tool and generated textures may be used in commercial projects, for individuals, schools or companies with revenue below USD $100K a year.
Non-commercial: for personal use (not companies), product can be used in an unlimited number of non-commercial projects. This license also enables usage in a single commercial project with a maximum of 2000 sales or 20000 views.
The product is not refundable.