INCLUDES FREE UPDATES FOR SWIFT 5 AND BEYOND! Click here for full details. iOS 11 unleashed a whole range of powerful new tools for you to build intelligent apps, and this book helps you get started with them as quickly as possible: Core ML, Vision, ARKit, and more.
Machine Learning: Take advantage of Core ML to deliver intelligent new apps that can proactively assist your users.
ARKit: Learn how to augment reality with slick interactive graphics thanks to Apple's new ARKit framework.
Drag & Drop: Let users move data freely inside your app and others too using powerful new multi-touch gestures.
Plus: NFC reading, PDFKit, Vision, MusicKit, the new iOS 11 design language, and more!
What's in the book
Practical iOS 11 includes seven new projects that teach all the major changes introduced in iOS 11, plus technique projects that deep-dive into smaller features:
- Project 1: Trade my Tesla Teach iOS how to evaluate the trade-in price of cars using machine learning.
- Project 2: Sightspotter Blend augmented reality with Core Location to help tourists find their way around a city.
- Project 3: Going Postal Create fun postcards using images, text, and colors, all powered by iOS 11's new drag and drop APIs.
- Project 4: Swift Sampler Learn to render PDFs with watermarks and interactive thumbnails, all using PDFKit.
- Project 5: Picture Protector Build an app that detects faces in photos and lets users interactively blur any they want.
- Project 6: Name that Tune Use MusicKit to fetch data from Apple Music and build a fast-paced two-player charts game.
- Project 7: Video X-Ray Let users record a video while the Vision framework silently detects and records all objects in the scene.
Along the way you'll learn all this and more:
- What's new in Swift 4 and how you can start using the new features today.
- How to use Core ML and the Vision framework to leverage machine learning in your own apps.
- Building both games and apps from scratch using ARKit's augmented reality technology.
- How to integrate drag and drop into your apps using table views, collection views, and more
- Updating your app for the new iOS 11 look and feel.
- The all-new PDFKit framework, delivering fast and efficient PDF rendering on iOS.
- Using the new depth-mapping APIs exposed through the iPhone 7 Plus camera.
- Automatically detecting and blurring faces using the Vision framework.
- Reading NFC tags using Core NFC.
- Taking advantage of the new MusicKit APIs to work with Apple Music.
- And more – iOS 11 is packed with new features to learn!
If you want to take advantage of all the incredible new functionality provided in iOS 11, there's no faster way than Practical iOS 11.
Please note: Practical iOS 11 will not teach you Swift. You should already have completed Hacking with Swift or Pro Swift, or have written your own existing Swift apps.
Download a free sample!
What format is the book in?
You get PDF, ePub, Mobi, and HTML, all with no DRM attached.
Is this book an update of Practical iOS 10?
The two are completely different books – one isn't an update or upgrade of the other. Practical iOS 10 covers the APIs that were introduced in iOS 10, such as speech transcription, iMessage apps, SiriKit, maps extensions, and so on. On the other hand, Practical iOS 11 covers the APIs introduced in iOS 11, such as Core ML, ARKit, Core NFC, PDFKit, and more – the two books aren't even slightly similar.
Will this book teach me Swift?
No. You're looking for Hacking with Swift: http://gum.co/hws-book-pack
Any other questions?
If you have questions that aren't answered above, you can tweet me @twostraws or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.