Octane Uber Shader Ver. 1.0
The octane uber shader was created as a solution to the repetitive, inefficient- need to build a shader network from scratch whenever you are lookdev'ing in octane.
The shader was designed, and built, upon production oriented principles. It will continue to improve in the future alongside the Octane for Houdini plugin. The shader has been in production for over a few months now with fantastic reception among lookdev, and lighting artists.
- Almost all physical materials can be represented by the Uber Shader without the need to use the node graph or overtly complex texturing mixing.
- Ditch the node graph for a clean and easy to learn layout. Understand at a glance what your complex shader is doing. If you are passing or recieving these shaders to another artists they will understand exactly what is happening without an hour of navigating the node graph.
Use the included bundle of shader presets and tiled textures to create most common shaders.
No Nodes means your only spending time on the shader's look and quality.
Included video tutorial will get you and your studio up and running quickly.
- Open/unlocked Shading network for customization and improvements.
Features at a glance:
-Available shader types for mixing.
- Base Shader (Diffuse or Glossy)
- 2nd Shader ( Glossy)
- 3rd Shader( Specular )
-3 Shader mixing modes
- Blend Mix
- Textured Mix
- Fresnel Mix
- Define bump, normal, displacement, opacity, and UV Xform- independent from desired shader mix. This prevents the need to configure surface inputs for each shader in the mix. For more control each shader has normal, bump and UV "global overrides" to input separate surface-params, per-shader.
Visualize individual shaders or just the surface globals without affecting your parameters. Quickly understand and see what each shader is contributing to the final output.
- Define each color input with a zero Degree face -color and a 90 Degree face color. Control the blend of the two with Falloff skew- which is like a IOR value.
- Color Correct inputs standard.
- Color Correct textures based on Fresnel Curve.
- UV Xform per texture.
- UV projection standard.
- Blend AO-dirt over color or texture inputs.
- Add color variation to instances with gradient color inputs. Gang-variation inputs to a single gradient to unify different inputs per instance. (ie: "Make Spec variation the same as diffuse.")
- Emission standard on diffuse shader
What you Get:
Uber Shader with unlocked node networks
Introductory Training video
Additional improvements, bug fixes and future releases.
Bonus : Custom Lookdev Scene with calibrated Light, Scale, And color reference.
Unique Tiled Textures for upcoming PBR presets.
2nd Release -coming shortly after intial release.(a week or two)
Large Preset Library with unique tiled textures. Scatched, Galvinzed, Brushed, Polished, Dirty --Metals and Plastics. Wax, Carpaints, Wood, Leather, Megascans Preset, Substance Designer Preset.
Complete Uber shader Training video covering the creation of complex presets such as realistic car paint.
Future Improvements Planned:
UI refinement and functionality
Support for Custom Attributes, if possible.
Conversion To HDA
Note: The uber shader was created with octane for Houdini ver 3.03 in houdini 15.523
Copy Gallery file into scanned gallery folder for Houdini , which is usually located in .... \Documents\houdini15.5\gallery
Once the gallery file is added to the houdini scanned directory, restart houdini. Goto the Material Palette and under the "Surface Shader" category you should see octane uber. Drag this into your shop and switch to the shop network view and you will see the shader there.
and finally learn the shader by watching this...https://vimeo.com/180628787
Sending a screenshot or video of a bug will allow bug fixes to happen much faster.
For feature requests or bug reports email me sohara20 @ gmail
Thanks for your support!
I'm currently an Artist/Technical Director at Roof Studio in NYC.
You've purchased this product
See it in your libraryView in Library
We charged your card and sent you a receipt
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Good news! Since you already have a Gumroad account, it's also been added to your library.