Update: Normally priced $25, the PDF is currently on sale for $15.
When you consider buying this book, there’s one question to ask: What would it be worth to your career and your future income if you could say, “I understand the fundamentals of functional programming”?
See the “Reader comments” section below to see what other developers have said.
This PDF, and other versions
On this website (Gumroad.com) you can buy the PDF version of the book. If you’re interested in other versions of the book:
- You can buy the Paperback version of the book here: https://amzn.to/2DJ2s9J
- You can buy the Kindle version of the book here: https://amzn.to/2Bv9LjC
Please note that there are no refunds on digital products like this, so if you want to be sure about what you’re buying, there’s a link to a large, free preview at the bottom of this page.
If you bought the Paperback or Kindle versions of this book, you can get a discount on this PDF. See this URL for details: https://kbhr.co/fps-discount
As of January, 2021, this book is 5-star rated here with 27 ratings, and 4.5-star rated on Amazon, with 91 ratings. Here’s some of the feedback from readers:
- Your book is fantastic, I can’t find enough words to thank you!
- Best Scala book I’ve read.
- This is a GREAT book!
- I finally understand monads. Thank you!
- I love the writing style and the approach, great job!
- I read this everyday after work and it makes me so happy. Thank you for this amazing book.
- I love the small lessons, they make it easy to read.
- The best $15 spent on a tech book, ever.
- Thanks Alvin for opening the door for this new world.
- Your book was a real game changer to learn FP.
- Very nice explanation. Just awesome.
- Functional Programming Simplified is amazing, thank you for writing this.
- Best book on Scala and FP I have read.
- Too bad I can't grade higher than 5 stars
- Exactly as promised, this book saves you a lot of time
- The best introduction to FP that I have read for people who are coming from an imperative background
- A very concise style that is easy to comprehend
A modern FP book
Why learning FP in Scala is hard
When I first started trying to learn functional programming in Scala, I struggled — a lot. I read books on functional programming in Scala, hundreds of blog posts, watched videos, etc., but I still couldn’t understand it.
The only way I was finally able to understand FP was to take a few weeks off from my regular job and learn Haskell. Once I understand FP in Haskell I came back to Scala and it all made sense. I now knew why I couldn’t learn functional programming in Scala, and I share everything I learned in the lessons of this book.
In short, I believe my “Five Rules” will help you quickly learn Scala/FP, and I hope this book will save you all of the time I lost, and the frustration I went through.
All the best,
In the book you’ll learn:
- five important rules for writing FP code in Scala
- why pure function signatures are much more important than OOP method signatures
- how pure functions work with I/O
- lessons to simplify recursion
- partially-applied functions and currying
- type signatures are covered many times, so your brain can get used to patterns like `StateT[IO,GameState,Int]`
- the proper way to handle exceptions and null values
- many lessons on for-expressions, which lead naturally into monads
- State and IO monads, and monad transformers like StateT
- domain modeling with Scala/FP
- an introduction to type classes, including an example with the Cats library
- handling concurrency with Akka actors and Scala futures
- visual lessons on collections’ methods like `fold` and `reduce`
- much more ...
The book is organized into small, single-purpose lessons that flow in a logical order. You’ll see how one concept naturally leads to the next concept, and that concept leads to another one, and so on.
What you get
Here on Gumroad.com you’ll get a copy of the PDF version of Functional Programming, Simplified. This is the full, unmodified version of the book.
You can buy the paperback version of the book here: https://amzn.to/2DJ2s9J
And you can buy the Kindle version of the book here: https://amzn.to/2Bv9LjC
There are no refunds on digital products like this, but you can obtain a large, free preview of the book at this URL:
You've purchased this product
See it in your libraryView in Library
We charged your card and sent you a receipt
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Thank you for buying “Functional Programming, Simplified.” I hope it’s helpful, and that you enjoy it!
Good news! Since you already have a Gumroad account, it's also been added to your library.