This session will bring together representatives of content providers and platform and technology companies, in order to explore new monetization and digital distribution strategies, and assess how effectively the industry is employing them.
Topics to be discussed include the opportunities and pitfalls presented by current monetization models for subscription-based, transactional and advertising-supported (SVOD, TVOD, AVOD) services--including such questions as how large a content library is needed in order to make subscription-based monetization viable, how to mitigate the customer churn that is the subscription model's inevitable downside, and whether the transactional model has untapped potential--as well as the potential of hybrid and other emerging monetization strategies.
Panelists will also discuss the advantages and disadvantages for content providers of offering exclusivity to MVPDs for current-season episodes vs. giving viewers the opportunity to discover the full show on a streaming platform; how to address consumer dissatisfaction and confusion when viewers can't find all episodes on a single platform; how UI/UX design, advertising formats and data/tracking are evolving in response to emerging distribution and monetization models; and more. Panelists include:
• Sherry Brennan, Past SVP of Distribution, Fox Networks (Moderator)
• Matt Clark, Director of Business Development, Amazon Fire TV
• Mark Garner, EVP of Content Sales, Licensing and Business Development, A+E Networks
• Matt Smith, Executive Director, Comcast Technology Solutions
• Stephen Strong, Head of Strategic Partnerships, Newsy
• David B. Williams, SVP and GM of Channels, pocket.watch