Do you wish you had more chances to work with senior engineers as they diagnose, debug, and resolve complex site reliability issues?
Listen in as they make nuanced architectural decisions?
Watch them take iterative steps towards making a more dependable Ruby on Rails API?
Then Season 1 of #RealWorldCode is for you.
In #DebuggingDowntime, Jennifer Tu, Betsy Haibel, Zee Spencer and Jackson Latka work through resolving Notabli's frequent service outages.
This four episode series follows the four of us as we incrementally improve the Rails API's infrastructure architecture to make Notabli more reliable.
* Episode 1: Betsy, Jackson and Zee begin to debug and diagnose the problem.
* Episode 2: Betsy, Jackson and Zee start exploring how Sidekiq may incidentally tying up the database.
* Episode 3: Jennifer, Jackson and Zee implement a Read Replica!
* Episode 4: Jennifer, Jackson and Zee fan out the read replicas for enhanced stability.
If you don't want to pay, that's OK! The Debugging Downtime - Uncut! Playlist on YouTube will have the uncut versions available for free, forever.
The cast for this season is:Notabli-Core is a Restful JSON built on Ruby on Rails. Core enjoys storing their data on Amazon RDS, enquing Jobs in Redis with SideKiq, and long walks on Heroku dynos. Core provides their systems monitoring information to developers with Scout APM, Papertail, and Airbrake.
Betsy Haibel has been programming for nearly two decades, and is happy to dive down deep into consensus algorithms for sharded multi-region database and soar up high with expounding on the virtues of flexbox in the Browser. She's the one who will be driving forward most of this season's code, and is supported by...
Jackson Latka, Head of Product for Notabli, and indie-dev, family-focused memories and moments storage and sharing platform. Family members can choose who they want to be able to see videos, photos, and other recordings of their Children. Further, family members can subscribe to get photo books of the best pictures on a monthly, quarterly, or annual bases. Jackson was fighting to bring Notabli back up the day after Christmas, when in desperation he reached out into the Intertubes and found ...
Zee Spencer, a typist of incredible proficiency, Zee also happens to enjoy spending his free time helping strangers fix their broken applications on Holidays. He's co-founder of Cohere along with Betsy and Jennifer Tu. Together they help develop engineering leadership skills in programmers all around the world through professional coaching and training.
What does it cost?!
We believe that education should be accessible and affordable, so we're releasing 300 copies for $4.99 with the discount code "RWC-S1-499"; 1,000 copies at $9.99 with the code "RWC-S1-999" and full price copies at $24.99.
This ensures anyone who wants to download the episodes can do so. If you still need financial help to acquire a copy, reach out to Cohere's Twitter or Cohere's website.
What does buying this Season get me?When you buy the full season, you get rights to download every episode in every cut of this season. Each episode will be downloadable in DRM free 720p so you can watch it anywhere you want.
For now, each episode is being offered as an Uncut version. As we reach our revenue milestones, you'll also be granted download rights for additional cuts, free of charge:
- A Rough Cut, with dead-air and Squirrels! (Read: distractions!) removed.
- A Gold Cut where each mob programming session is tightened up and the diamonds in the rough are highlighted.
- An Enhanced Cut with new footage illustrating mental models and other concepts.
What are these "Revenue Milestones?"
Editing video is expensive! Sure, we can record live streams whenever we want, but taking the time to find each good insight, cut out the dead air, and make the call on what we should or should not keep in a tight Gold cut is a lot of work.When this season reaches certain revenue thresholds, we'll invest time (and money!) into making the content more useful.
Our milestones are as follows:
- $1,000 - They like us! We'll do a Rough Cut on every episode. We'll remove dead air and side-bars and distractions from each episode, and make them available for download for all previous and future buyers. We'll also offer these available for streaming for free.
- $10,000 - They really like us! We'll do a Gold cut, where we tighten each session down to ~30m of watchable content. This will include speeding up typing, adding 'freeze-frames' and call-outs for useful information, and otherwise providing a high-caliber, polished video presentation. We may even re-record some of the dialogue!
- $50,000 - MIND BLOWN! We'll do an enhanced cut, with new content including illustrations, commentary, and elaboration interleaved with the mob programming sessions.