Watch the trailer on Youtube:
Originally posted on Skillshare, and now also available to download on Gumroad.
This class is all about drawing and painting mountains.
You’ll learn how to start with simple shapes to establish the overall composition, before moving on to more interesting textures and lighting patterns.
By working our way from simple to more complex, you’ll leave this class with a broad understanding of how light interacts with the various edges and materials on a mountain.
Using the provided references, you’ll be able to paint along with me as I talk through my thoughts and techniques for achieving more interesting mountains. As always, my teaching style is to help you understand the reasoning behind the choices, and provide repeatable strategies so that you feel more confident in approaching your own unique scenes for years to come.
With demonstrations in both watercolor and gouache, this class is aimed at a wide variety of students who have the same goal: painting better mountains.
You don't need all of these - these are just the materials I use. You can use whatever brands you want.
- HB Pencil (for light lines) or a blue pencil (my favorite)
- Regular pencil for darker lines
- Sketchbook or computer paper
- Watercolors used in my demos (again, you don't need the exact same colors): Schmincke Ultramarine Finest, Sennelier Neutral Tint, Schmincke Perylene Violet, Schmincke English Venetian Red, Schmincke Yellow Ochre, W&N Quinacridone Magenta, Schmincke Peryelen Green, M. Graham Hansa Yellow.
- Etchr Everyday Sketchbook (Cold Pressed)
- Silver Black Velvet #12 round brush
- Etchr #8 round brush
- Winsor and Newton Designer's Gouache (colors: zinc white, ultramarine, cadmium-free lemon yellow, permanent alizarin crimson, perylene black)
- Daler Rowney Aquafine Smooth Watercolor Paper (Hot Pressed)
Great source for freely-usable references: https://unsplash.com/
Need more help?
Check out my other classes to improve your landscapes!
Connect on Social Media
You've purchased this product
See it in your libraryView in Library
We charged your card and sent you a receipt
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
Good news! Since you already have a Gumroad account, it's also been added to your library.