Hey friends! Here's my PDF chord sheet for Yesterday by The Beatles, which is a perfect companion to my full video lesson: http://playsongnotes.com/songs/beatles-yesterday/
In this lesson, I'll teach you how to play Yesterday in standard tuning (the Beatles tune down 1 whole step), showing you two different fingerstyle approaches you can use to get the job done. One of them is more in the style of The Beatles (17:27), while the other uses the same chords & notes, but uses a more spacious fingerpicking pattern – which I prefer when playing it (28:01). Otherwise, I'll start with the chord shapes, explain some ways to simplify some of the difficult transitions, and go over the general chord progression basics. In the end, you'll have everything you need to play this song - whether you want to imitate the Beatles style, or do something more straightforward & strummy.
- 0:00 Lesson preview & greeting
- 1:12 Tuning: standard vs. whole step down?
- 1:40 How to play the chords
- 6:49 Simplifying the F#m and B7
- 10:14 Chord progression basics
- 14:35 Strumming vs. fingerpicking?
- 17:27 Fingerpicking tab (var. 1 of 2)
- 28:01 Fingerpicking tab (var. 2 of 2)
- 30:02 Advanced chorus walk-down
- 32:15 Farewell
Have any other Beatles songs you want to see lessons for? Let me know! I'd like to do a few more in the month or two to come, as the movie "Yesterday" gets ready for theatrical release.
If you want to view more of my lessons, visit playsongnotes.com which is my personal collection of lessons, tabs, and notes -- all created with care by me (David Potsiadlo).