Learn to build a microservice with Spring Boot. Together we will write a production-ready microservice with a REST API and cover the essentials. No prior experience with Spring needed.
We learn best by coding.
Third edition. Updated Fall 2019
What you will learn
- The basics of the Spring Framework, what it is, what problems it solves and how to use it
- A brief introduction to Maven for those unfamiliar with it
- What Spring Boot actually is and how it makes working with the Spring Framework much easier
- How to build a microservice with Spring Boot 2
- How to store data in relational database using the Spring Data JPA Framework
- How to write a REST API using Spring MVC
- How to create a service layer and integrate a legacy library in two variations
- How to test the individual components of our application
- A simple way to secure your application
- How to use monitoring and health checks out of the box with Spring Boot
- How to log in your application
- How to deploy your application as a standalone microservice
Who is this not right for
The guide is not for you if you have never developed in Java or your most advanced application is Hello World.
We create a Microservice for storing comments and providing a REST-like Interface for interacting with the data. The sample application is modeled after a real production application to guide you through building your first Spring Boot application.
We focus on the backend and API and will not cover a UI.