Understanding Drawing is the culmination of over 6 years of research, investigation, testing, practice, failing and learning. During this time I’ve taken hundreds of courses, gone through hundreds of tutorials and demos from different artists, read a multitude of books, trying to piece together what it is that I need to do in order to improve my art. I’m self-taught, I’d never taken art classes before, didn’t draw as a kid and started at 25 with 0 previous experience and no idea what I’m getting myself into. Sometimes I got it right – very often though – I got it wrong.
Regardless of whether you’re studying with an experienced artist, or learning by yourself – you’re always in charge of your development. It’s your responsibility to piece together a big picture view of art and to try to figure out the next steps for your work. At the very beginning – this can be a very daunting task. Art can be massively complicated, with so many skills being tangled together. There is overlap between different fields, language that is imprecise – words are used to mean several very different things to different artists. Things can get very confusing very quickly.
My goal with this course is to provide you with context. To go through what’s important and what is not. As beginners it’s very easy to mistake a convention or a style as something we need to be doing, only to realize later on we never developed the thinking and the skills required to produce our own work.
Drawing is an incredibly important skill to develop. It’s essential for visual communication. And with practice and internalization of skills, it becomes very powerful and so much faster. We begin to be able to think through drawing, in order to create what we imagine, rather than being constrained to technical issues. But this development of skill has to be deliberate. We have to be able to see the big picture, in order to know what we need to do next to progress.
We’ll start from the very beginning – we’ll talk about what the purpose of drawing is. We’ll examine visual language. We’ll talk about structure and how we often mistake the end result we see for the work that went in to produce the image. We’ll talk about cause and effect. How to begin training our ability to think dimensionally and spatially. How to start creating objects. We’ll deconstruct drawing down to separate Levels, tied to distinct Skills that we need to train in order to go from absolute beginner – from symbolic drawing, to realistic or stylized imagination work. These Levels and Skills are also coupled with Knowledge – we absolutely need to acquire certain theory and drill it to a very high level, in order to internalize it and be able to act on it, without having to think about it.
For a full breakdown and description of each video, please visit: http://www.volenck.com/understanding-drawing/
7 Hours 54 Minutes of content, with 1 Hour 40 Minutes of fully narrated sketching – different examples of the ideas and principles we talk about, multiple drawings of the same subject to explore different thinking and problem solving.
You will receive access to 22 videos, 2 image files with our main key ideas, A Resources File with books, videos & course recommendations, a Contents file.
The videos are stream only – they can’t be downloaded. But you will have unlimited access to these.
If you are not satisfied for any reason – send me an email, I’m more than happy to refund you in full. My goal is to help and be of service, not take anything from anyone.
- 01 – Introduction
- 02 – Overview of Contents
- 03 – Understanding Drawing Roadmap – A first look at Levels, Skills, Traps and Maps
- 04 – Maps – Drawing as Language, Compound Skill, Pro vs Beginner, Theory vs Practice, Levelling up
- 05 - What is Drawing - Visual Illusion, Structure vs Outline, Styles & Copying, Brain & Perception
- 06 - Types of Drawing, 2D and 3D, Cause and Effect in Images, Drawing Through, Experienced Artists and Structure
- 07 – Form as Combination of Structure and Light, More on Shapes and Volumes, Multiple Passes of
- 08 - My Early Work - Going Through Levels and Improving Skills, From Symbolic Drawing to Imagination
- 09 - Levels & Skills In-Depth, Progressing, Skill Training and the Brain
- 10 – Observation – Training Like an Athlete, Developing Perceptual & Mechanical Skills, Proportions, Alignments, Relationships
- 11 – Understanding – Construction, Perspective, Going from Flat Shapes to Volumes, Reading 2D images as 3D
- 12 – Understanding Part 2 – Perspective, Camera Lenses, Building Objects, Perspective Resources,
- 13 - Feeling Form, Knowledge, Design – Internalized Perspective, Using Drawing to Learn ABOUT Things, Simple Designs and Imaginative Pieces
- 14 - Imagination - Reality as Inspiration, Process, Strategy, Using Research, Beginner Mistakes & Misconceptions, Style
- 15 - Traps - No Big Picture View, Thinking Not Tools or Style, No Process, Bad Ways to Practice
- 16 - Closing Thoughts, Quotes & Training - If You See The Way Broadly, You Will See it In All Things
- 17 - Sketching Demo – Simple Cartoon Characters with Volumes
- 18 - Sketching Demo - Hand with Volumes, Feeling Form
- 19 - Sketching Demo - Gladiator - Figure, Gesture and Structure
- 20 - Sketching Demo - Robot Perspective Sketch
- 21 - Sketching Demo - Head Structure and Light
- 22 - Get Started! and Thank You
You'll need an account to access this in our app. Please create a password to continue.
Download from the App Store or text yourself a link to the app
This is Volen, thank you so much for your support. If if you have any questions, comments or feedback - please send me an email.
If you're unhappy for any reason - I'm happy to refund you.
Thank you for your time, now let's get to work!
Good news! Since you already have a Gumroad account, it's also been added to your library.Tweet Share