Editor plugin for precise and automated retargeting of skeletons, skeletal meshes and animations created with and exported from Mixamo tools (Auto-Rigger, 3D Characters, 3D Animations).
Mixamo Animation Retargeting is an editor plugin that helps integrating Mixamo assets (exported from Auto-Rigger, 3D Characters, 3D Animations) into Unreal Engine 4.
Demonstration video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSaYNLdrYck
In addition to the base setups required by the Retarget Manager, the plugin implements some advanced functionalities to obtain a perfect retargeting and optimal integration into Unreal Engine 4:
- the Retarget Base Pose is computed analytically, to obtain an exact and perfect match of the skeletal meshes used during animation retargeting;
- a Root bone is added to the Mixamo skeleton (and all related skeletal meshes), allowing the use of Root Motion for animations (https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Animation/RootMotion/);
- a Root Motion animation can be computed from a pair of normal and in-place Mixamo animations (youtu.be/IwlwjLQBqmM).
To run the tool:
- ensure that the Unreal Engine 4 mannequin skeleton in your project has the “Humanoid” rig set.
- select a Mixamo skeleton asset and execute the “Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset” contextual action.
The tool also supports batch processing.
NOTE: This product is not made by, or affiliated with, Mixamo or Adobe Systems in any way.
- Editor plugin.
- Binary builds included, for simplified installation (no Visual Studio nor Xcode required).
- No third party code.
- Automatic setup of Translation Retargeting options.
- Automatic setup of Rig mapping.
- Analytical computation of the exact Retarget Base Pose. Some bones preserve the original component space orientation due to differences between Mixamo and Epic reference poses: "Head", "LeftToeBase", "RightToeBase".
- Addition of the Root bone to enable Root Motion animations.
- End results can be hand-tuned if needed (see youtu.be/soEEw4oS7no).
- Animation Retargeting is done with the standard editor pipeline (Retarget Anim Assets > Duplicate Anim Assets and Retarget).
Conversion of Mixamo animations to UE4 root motion animations (both “normal” animation and “in-place” animation are needed for the computation - see youtu.be/IwlwjLQBqmM).
- Supported Development Platforms: Windows, Mac.