This is the unreal project with all the blueprints and code for this project.
If you were looking for a packaged build to just play around with check this out: https://gumroad.com/l/terranova
PLEASE READ THE NOTES BELOW BEFORE BUYING!
This is a dynamic in-game environment system for use in games that require the player to design its own environment. (think games like Minecraft or Cities Skylines). It uses procedural mesh components and simplex noise layering mixed with a world spaced tri-planar material generate realistic landscapes on the go. It uses a self-contained tile system to boost performance.
Dynamic world creation using simplex noise
Smart foliage spawning algorithms
Easy to swap meshes and materials
Road drawing system using splines
NEW Save the terrain for loading in the game
NEW Export the terrain and foliage to a blueprint that you can easily use in your own game.
(Check out the new save / export features here: https://vimeo.com/272283107)
READ THIS FIRST:
Tested and working in Unreal 4.18.x (4.19+ in progress)
Keep in mind this is a research project meant for educational purposes, it is by no means a release ready project, you will have to go through it and implement what you like in your own project.
This is an in-game world editor, as opposed to the in-editor world tools in UE4, it allows the player to create and edit their own environment.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org
29 May 2018
- Tuned some of the settings for performance.
- Rewrote the foliage system to cull more effectively.
- Added an in-game saving method to show how you could approach saving the - generated map in your game
- Added the long-requested feature to export the whole environment to a blueprint with a single button press.
- Implemented planar reflections to the water.
- Rewrote and optimized some old systems in the blueprints
06 February 2018
- Migrated the project to UE 4.18.x
- Optimized VFX.
- Switched Convolution Blur.
- Updated some deprecated code.
19 July 2017
- Fixed 4.16 compatibility.
- Fixed support for UE 4.16.2
22 March 2017
- Updated libraries to the latest version.
- Fixed support for UE 4.15.1
19 August 2016 b
- Fixed a shader bug
19 August 2016 a- Removed Substance plugin requirement.
- Replaced some assets that I could not distribute (sorry)
18 August 2016
- Initial release